Sour crop Please Help!!!

Rortw1

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2020
We have a three year old sweet hen with confirmed sour crop. She didn't eat anything yesterday and didn't eat anything today. We have her on Fenbendazole, Corid and now Micanazole started today to cover every base. She has been having issues for a while but now in the last 48 hours developed sour crop. Anything else we can do to help her. I fear that with no further intervention she is going to die. Any suggestions or ideas on how to treat her aside from what we have already done?

We have a three year old sweet hen with confirmed sour crop. She didn't eat anything yesterday and didn't eat anything today. We have her on Fenbendazole, Corid and now Micanazole started today to cover every base. She has been having issues for a while but now in the last 48 hours developed sour crop. Anything else we can do to help her. I fear that with no further intervention she is going to die. Any suggestions or ideas on how to treat her aside from what we have already done?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Have you tried adding a probiotic? And why is she on Corid and fenben? Does she also have parasites?

She had a decline in appetite for a while and had an empty crop every night pretty regularly. A couple days a month or so ago she was pooping water with green stuff in it and becoming lethargic. I ran a course of Baytril and that didn't work. Followed up with Fenbendazole and that didn't work either. As a last ditch effort ran a course of corid and she started eating like normal after a 5 day course. That lasted about 10 days or so and then now she has sour crop. It seemed like Corid fixed her last time. I am thinking we didn't follow up another course after a week so it came back? I am not sure what else to do. I will stop the fenben. She was flipping her head and swallowing like crazy so I thought possible gapeworm. My thoughts are coccidiosis or something like cancer and it's just causing her GI to shut down. Just weird that Corrid had a bit of a curative effect a couple weeks ago if it was cancer. We do have Mareks in our flock but it's mild.

so we had a hen who was extremely ill with sour croup - wasn’t emptying at all.
Got so bad that we took her to the vet to to have her put down. We had tried all the home remedies you can possibly try and all the over-the-counter remedies you can try. She just wasn’t getting any better.
The vet, instead of putting her down, emptied her croup and prescribed metoclopramide hydrochloride, metacam (the spelling is not right, but it’s the anti-inflammatory) and nystatin.
She has turned around like gangbusters.
Croup emptying, eating well, roaming around with her flock mates. In my opinion, it was the metoclopramide that made the difference.
Hopefully this can help

Sorry to hear this. It's always a bit dramatic when it gets to the acute stage.

I've been told and have found that sour crop, being fungal in nature, doesn't improve with antibiotics, in fact, they can have the opposite effect by removing some of the natural flora that exists in the crop.

The way I have got past this is to make sure she has plenty of water and that you massage her about four times a day for at least 5 minutes each time. I have drained crops in the past but it's unpleasant for the chicken and it's as scary as hell for us! So I work on this basis of regular massage withholding food for most of the day if not all, and letting it work its way through.

Sometimes sauerkraut is the symptom of another problem that is in the digestive tract somewhere. You are right in looking for worms and treating because that can cause it. However, it can also be caused by foreign objects or some other form of obstruction, such as ascites. Some people will say that if that is the case, you can use molasses to flush through the digestive system however, I've never needed to do this myself.

One last thing worth mentioning, is I would be trying to give her some probiotics to help restore the natural flora that may have been lost due to the antibiotic.

I wish you luck, but again the best thing that has ever worked for me, is regular massage throughout the day for 5 minutes or more at a time.

Back
Top Bottom