Sourcing sand for my chicken run

MB13534

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2024
Hi all!

I recently finished my 8x16 chicken run. I have very poor drainage here. Lots of clay, runoff, and a high water table. I think I have settled on sand and now I am trying to source it. My local recycling center has something called Screened Sand. Here is the link https://riversiderecycles.com/products/index

I started with the grass exposed to give the ladies an opportunity to forge and have fun. With all the rain, they have already pretty much destroyed the grass and it is becoming muddy and impossible to clean the waste. I was thinking I would get 3 yards or so which would get me to about the top of the cinder blocks. Assuming this would be a good option for the chickens.

I have a foot apron of 1/2'' hardware cloth as well, and I was going to get a third of a yard of 3/4'' stone from the same center, if yall think that is a good option

The coop I am going to try thick pine shavings, with removeable sand catches under their roosting bars

Thanks very much for the input

I would suggest coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer.
It will compost the poops so never need to 'clean'.
It will help with some moisture too, but if you have heavy runoff you're better off trying to divert that away from the run no matter what bedding you use.

Sand will likely never dry out completely, will not break down the poops, and will end up stinking to high heaven.

Thanks very much for the input
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

After reading all the wonderful reports about it and investing in about 5 yards worth.. I hate hate hate sand, it's a nasty litter box that stinks to high heaven every time it gets wet (even around the edges of a covered run and with poos sifted out cat box style daily) and does NOT invite any good bacteria to the party.. Consider going with large chunk bark or other materials of varying sizes that will create a forest floor mulch type situation.

Droppings boards are awesome.. sand not required or preferred.. it's heavy, not absorbant, and doesn't compost. For large flocks.. sweet PDZ may be a nice little helper.

These statements according to my experience and location coupled with flock size etc.. using washed river sand in the Pacific Northwest with excellent drainage.

Of those choices in your link.. I'd *probably* consider a combination of the "kids safe" and "erosion control".. expecting the "dark blend" to possibly quickly become mud.

Your mileage may vary.

@EggSighted4Life @aart

I have been so torn on sand or wood chips. I will say, that if I go the wood chip route, I would probably just do a chipdrop and throw them down on the outside of the run as well to help with some of water.

I am asking purely as an educational stance, not confrontational at all. Why would the sand smell? I would be find scooping and raking daily. I read that sand can be cleaner because if it is managed it is less likely to host bugs and disease? I will say that it is very important that there is no smell and nothing to attract insects or disease.

If i change back to my original plan of wood chips, how many inches would you suggest? Should I just do as much as possible pretty much? Pretty much up to the cinder blocks, and add as needed? Should I get a chipdrop, and just have extras wrapped in a tarp next to the run?

@EggSighted4Life @aart

I have been so torn on sand or wood chips. I will say, that if I go the wood chip route, I would probably just do a chipdrop and throw them down on the outside of the run as well to help with some of water.

I am asking purely as an educational stance, not confrontational at all. Why would the sand smell? I would be find scooping and raking daily. I read that sand can be cleaner because if it is managed it is less likely to host bugs and disease? I will say that it is very important that there is no smell and nothing to attract insects or disease.

If i change back to my original plan of wood chips, how many inches would you suggest? Should I just do as much as possible pretty much? Pretty much up to the cinder blocks, and add as needed? Should I get a chipdrop, and just have extras wrapped in a tarp next to the run?
https://getchipdrop.com/for-gardeners/

If you are not familiar, it is free, but you typically get a whole dump truck worth.

You can make a note for wood that you do not want. Anything I would want to include other than cedar?

Sand works best in a dry region or in a specific area with good drainage.
The reason it can get so damp and stinky is that it doesn't evaporate moisture off the surface. All water runs straight down and if it can't keep going it will get stuck in the lowest layers and make a gross tea out of any poo it picked up on the way.

However, in an area with good drainage, that very same quality will move the water out of an area quickly and actually reduce odor.

So you have to pick your substrate for your area. Wood chips as mentioned above are better for sitting on damp ground and building up a good high layer.

If you really want to use sand on a poorly draining site, you can do what a construction company would do... build up the area with 6 inches of coarse gravel, hemmed in at the sides with landscape timbers, stone edging, or similar erosion control... cover with pinned down landscape cloth (this part I have tried and it's actually chicken safe if it's a decent quality cloth)... and then put 6 inches of sand on top. That will yield a nice landscape of sand that stays dry and odor free, but it's a bigger investment than mulch.

Why would the sand smell? I would be find scooping and raking daily
Because you can never get all the poops out...and there is no decomposition happening.

If i change back to my original plan of wood chips, how many inches would you suggest?
Only as much as is needed to ameliorate puddles and/or mud.
Just a few inches can do the job.

https://getchipdrop.com/for-gardeners/

If you are not familiar, it is free, but you typically get a whole dump truck worth.
From all I've read, chip drop is a crap shoot.
Better to contact a reputable local tree trimmer to dump a load where you want it.
Not sure I'd want it dumped right next to the run.

You can make a note for wood that you do not want. Anything I would want to include other than cedar?
No guarantees there...and not sure why you would want cedar.
Decent hardwoods are best for longevity.

Sand works best in a dry region or in a specific area with good drainage.
The reason it can get so damp and stinky is that it doesn't evaporate moisture off the surface. All water runs straight down and if it can't keep going it will get stuck in the lowest layers and make a gross tea out of any poo it picked up on the way.

However, in an area with good drainage, that very same quality will move the water out of an area quickly and actually reduce odor.

So you have to pick your substrate for your area. Wood chips as mentioned above are better for sitting on damp ground and building up a good high layer.

If you really want to use sand on a poorly draining site, you can do what a construction company would do... build up the area with 6 inches of coarse gravel, hemmed in at the sides with landscape timbers, stone edging, or similar erosion control... cover with pinned down landscape cloth (this part I have tried and it's actually chicken safe if it's a decent quality cloth)... and then put 6 inches of sand on top. That will yield a nice landscape of sand that stays dry and odor free, but it's a bigger investment than mulch.
I am not set on anything. I had decid
Because you can never get all the poops out...and there is no decomposition happening.

Only as much as is needed to ameliorate puddles and/or mud.
Just a few inches can do the job.

From all I've read, chip drop is a crap shoot.
Better to contact a reputable local tree trimmer to dump a load where you want it.
Not sure I'd want it dumped right next to the run.

No guarantees there...and not sure why you would want cedar.
Decent hardwoods are best for longevity.
Sorry I phrased that poorly. I was saying chipdrop allows you to list woods you want excluded and that I would not want cedar. Wondering if there was any other woods to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom