Spotty gene

rffEnuff

Chirping
12 Years
Oct 12, 2011
australia, southern queensland
I have been absent for a long time but have returned as I ditched social media.

This is a hen and her chicken and I am curious to know if anyone has thoughts on what could be the genetics of the pattern. She and her chicken ckl are blue. I have thoughts on the gene doing this but would love to hear others ideas first.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5760.jpeg
    IMG_5760.jpeg
    986.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5763.jpeg
    IMG_5763.jpeg
    812.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5765.jpeg
    IMG_5765.jpeg
    931.6 KB · Views: 10
Mama looks to be splash. Idk why the baby is presenting with darker neck feathers, but it could have to do with it being a boy. They tend to have different feather coloring patterns. Not a fully splash it seems because he'd be spotted like mom if he was.

The mother looks like a blue mottled, to me. (With a little gold leakage.)
The reason I think blue mottled and not splash is because she has a few v-shaped spangles.
IMG_8163.jpeg

I’d agree that the cockerel looks to be splash, though, with the darker neck feathers that are common among blue-diluted birds.
I can see from the whitish head feathers that he carries mottled but if he was actually mottled at this age his breast would be much more white.

I guess he could be a very pale blue then.
Do you all have bobtail Cochins over there?
there are no bob tail in the line if there are bobtails here. the wild card here is the gene for spotty came from an australian pit game crossed to a modern game a few generations back. also there was a cross to english chocolate bantam orpingtons a while back. the hen came from a cross between related birds and there could have been mottle in them but not visible. not that i can tell what is in the father. i am going to breed from him again.he isn't blue but he is dun from other chickens he has fathered. he is most likely eb. no birds have shown mottle from him but then they wouldn't if they are homozygous.looking back on the hen when she was a chicken{only photo of her} she seems to have some white tips to some feathers. this is a photo of her father.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.JPG
    IMG_3923.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
there are no bob tail in the line if there are bobtails here. the wild card here is the gene for spotty came from an australian pit game crossed to a modern game a few generations back. also there was a cross to english chocolate bantam orpingtons a while back. the hen came from a cross between related birds and there could have been mottle in them but not visible. not that i can tell what is in the father. i am going to breed from him again.he isn't blue but he is dun from other chickens he has fathered. he is most likely eb. no birds have shown mottle from him but then they wouldn't if they are homozygous.looking back on the hen when she was a chicken{only photo of her} she seems to have some white tips to some feathers. this is a photo of her father.
I think you know more about genetics than I do, to be honest. I have never heard of a spotty gene but I agree it might be involved.
What does it do?
hen as a chicken.
Wow, those Cornish are really cute, what do they look like now?

Back
Top Bottom