Stacking bins for nest boxes?

Hermits Garden

Vintage American Featherless Biped
Oct 8, 2018
Has anyone ever used these for nest boxes? I see in the reviews that several people have, and said their chickens love them. (link below pic)

1bb124a7-9d55-432d-8496-71fcf15d097d_1.dd74a152c79af421e9eed20c153d2cec.jpg

Your Zone stacking bin

I'm new to chickens--first chicks in late April--and setting up the coop and run in preparation. I don't intend to stack them, however. So I am wondering if they're heavy enough not to tip forward if the chicken goes to step on that lip in the entry. I will put rocks on them (under the poop deck) if I need to, but wondered: has anyone used these?

Made in the USA, bought at Walmart, for $7.50 each. I have three for the coop, with an extra to switch out in case a broody takes over one, then I can move her (nest and eggs and all) into the broody pen in the coop.

No experience with using one of those personally, but that certainly looks like a good idea. Might want to get a little flap for the front so your broody doesn't try to bolt when you pick it up though.

Those look like a good option. The only thing that might be an issue would be for large/heavy chickens- the size is a bit short for them, and the opening might be too small or too high. If you were to use these for a large/heavy breed chicken, then at $7.50 each, I’d just cut down the lip/opening leaving only 2” lip. They would probably use them, even if a bit short-without a lid the height would not matter.

For most chickens-yes, I think these could be great. Stabilize it and have some way to secure that lid.

Many many moons ago when I had a few hens (getting quail now...darn HOA!!) I used to use something similar to those, though yours are WAY nicer and less flimsy looking than what I used.

I had them stacked 3 high in a corner and bolted to both walls to keep them secure. Unsecured, as others have suggested, they fell over with pressure on the front lip.

The hens loved them and I only ever had to deal with eggs where they shouldn't be when the "best" (read: bottom) identical nest box was already occupied! 😂

I'm sure those will work great for you!

I use ones kinda like that. Mine are bigger, also from Walmart. They were marked down to $5! Couldn’t beat that price.
I don’t weigh mine down and don’t have problems with them getting knocked over. Although over time I just decided to keep them flat on the floor since the girls started only using the ones on the floor over the ones stacked on top.
Here are some pictures
09EAAD93-4034-47E8-B8F5-AC6422DCC7EC.jpeg
1C7A567D-9858-4AB3-B495-58E5F7AC86FF.jpeg

Because they are so roomy I’ll often see two hens using one box at a time.
This was how I originally stacked them. *please excuse the goofy hen in the little bucket🙄 She wasn’t the brightest.
F7F9DD8D-28DA-4D70-8D35-9BC5D8978BB5.jpeg

F1CF2823-5132-4CB4-BFED-CB29868F2DE3.jpeg

I love these boxes. So easy to clean and the girls love them too.

Back
Top Bottom