Staggered hatch *1egg

Pics
I put it in there a couple hours short of two days after the others. Last one pipped around 5:30 two days ago. 🤞🏼

HOOWW IS THIS BABY STILL ALIVE!?

So I get up this morning and all the chicks are out because I moved them from what I call the crib to their big brooder. Apparently the little runt ran out with them but since they were busy running around instead of huddling on it it chilled. I found it laying on it's side, stiff, eyes closed, legs straight out behind it. I picked it up and it was cold and not breathing. I was like well it didn't make it. So I'm holding it in my hand thinking I'll go bury it when I get done messing with all the other ones for about 5 minutes. Not sure why I'm holding it in my hand instead of just laying it on the floor next to me. But apparently that started to warm it up. I see it's foot stretch even further back and I'm thinking okay that must just be rigor mortis. Then I see it's mouth open and I'm thinking gosh I thought it was past this stage of death; it felt cold and stiff. Then the mouth opens and closes again and starts doing it every few seconds. So I tuck it into my bra where it's warm and set up a little hospital box for it with a heating pad. 3 and 1/2 hours later it's peeping, it's eaten three times it's pooped now it's sitting out in the porch with me tucked in my bra chirping away contently. It's definitely a space case but this thing just refuses to die! It's like frankenchick. I don't know what to do with it! Can't put it in there with the others because if they run out to play in the brooder it follows them and chills instead of going back to the mama hen box. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ I'd have to make them stay in a huddle over it at all times for it to be okay in there and that's just not going to happen. Mercy, It's either just weak and needs a little boost to thrive or it's mentally disabled. Haven't figured out which. So now I have 18 chicks and a special chick that's every 2 hours extra 😩 I soaked the chick food in warm water for a while and blended it and the baby food processor. Then poured it out through a paper towel to filter out anything solid. And then put a tiny pinch of rooster booster in there and mixed it with an egg yolk. So it's eating about a half a cc of that every hour now. Surely this can't go on forever.

Bebes❤️

Attachments

• 17130441005735190355800443168985.jpg
    17130441005735190355800443168985.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 4
Congrats on your hatch - sorry the last egg didn’t hatch from your special mama. That is so crazy about the chick that revived! Makes me wonder if the few times I have had a dead chick, if they would have come back to life if I held them!
It finally died for good the next day. It was wonky from the beginning and was just failing to thrive. I did everything I could. But yeah it blew my mind too and I read about it and yeah they can appear dead from being hypothermic and come back after being warmed. But there was no way to stop that from happening because it would wander out with the others but didn't really have the sense to go back where it was warm so I had to keep it in a small tank that prevented that. It wasn't crying just chirping and appeared to be doing pretty good. But I got up yesterday morning and it was gone 😭 best way to describe it is that it seemed a little mentally disabled?

Back
Top Bottom