Still not laying

Feb 9, 2024
Hi all, I've posted about Brunhilde my Calder ranger previously and tried all the suggestions on how to restart her laying.
She will be 2 years old in June. She started laying Oct 2022 at around 17 weeks old and laid an egg every single day, with the occasional holiday until Dec 2023 when she laid 2 tiny little eggs, with yolks, and nothing since. Her comb and wattles are a lovely red, her legs are yellow, she's healthy. She has the same diet as my other 2 hens who both lay regularly. I know chickens have a finite amount of eggs they can lay, is it possible she's "burnt out" already, she was just 18 months old when she laid her last egg.

Laying is an individual aspect of a bird, influenced by breed, but with natural variance per individual. I think Ranger birds, are more of a meat bird, than an egg layer.

However, there really is nothing you can feed or do to her to make her lay. Unless she is being starved to death, diet has limited effect on laying.

If you want 3 laying hens, you need to cull this one, and try again. If you enjoy her company, keep her, and probably, maybe once in a while you might get an egg.

Mrs K

Laying is an individual aspect of a bird, influenced by breed, but with natural variance per individual. I think Ranger birds, are more of a meat bird, than an egg layer.

However, there really is nothing you can feed or do to her to make her lay. Unless she is being starved to death, diet has limited effect on laying.

If you want 3 laying hens, you need to cull this one, and try again. If you enjoy her company, keep her, and probably, maybe once in a while you might get an egg.

Mrs K
I took mine off sorghum, but if your others are laying that ain't it. I have to agree with Mrs K. It sucks, but most of us have had to do it. IM so sorry, though. I usually just let mine live their best life, feed ain't that expensive up here.

I took mine off sorghum, but if your others are laying that ain't it. I have to agree with Mrs K. It sucks, but most of us have had to do it. IM so sorry, though. I usually just let mine live their best life, feed ain't that expensive up here.
I agree, it seems her laying days are done, but she's a lovely bird, so she can stay, I'm planing on getting 2 more soon, once I have a chance to extend the run a bit, so the egg count will go up later this year

Mrs K
Thanks Mrs K, she can stay and entertain us as long as she wants, I'm planning on getting 2 more once I have a chance to extend the run, so egg bounty will go up later this year

Back
Top Bottom