Strange but funny hen behavior

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
One day my EE started to brutally bully my Americauna, which was very odd. The next day completely stopped, with only a few annoyed pecks here and there.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I go out to the run and hand feed them some grubs. My Americauna, eager looking and excited, takes the grub when I give it to her, runs off a little and drops it. Then she starts making a loud rhythmic clucking noise, like a signal. My EE goes in a snatches it. I know my Americauna isn’t doing this because she doesn’t like the treats; after 3 or 4 times of doing this weird exchange and “giving” her grub to my EE, she eats them.

Do hens offer their treats to their bullies??? What is this, chicken mafia? I found this very funny. 😆
Anyone with the same experience?

One day my EE started to brutally bully my Americauna, which was very odd. The next day completely stopped, with only a few annoyed pecks here and there.

Fast forward 2 weeks, I go out to the run and hand feed them some grubs. My Americauna, eager looking and excited, takes the grub when I give it to her, runs off a little and drops it. Then she starts making a loud rhythmic clucking noise, like a signal. My EE goes in a snatches it. I know my Americauna isn’t doing this because she doesn’t like the treats; after 3 or 4 times of doing this weird exchange and “giving” her grub to my EE, she eats them.

Do hens offer their treats to their bullies??? What is this, chicken mafia? I found this very funny. 😆
Anyone with the same experience?
She's sharing snacks. The noise she's making is called Tidbitting. It's to offer something tasty to eat to certain flock mates. Not all will do this.
A hen will do this with chicks she's raising too.

Roosters do this to both share food with their hens, & away to woo the ladies.

She's sharing snacks. The noise she's making is called Tidbitting. It's to offer something tasty to eat to certain flock mates. Not all will do this.
A hen will do this with chicks she's raising too.

Roosters do this to both share food with their hens, & away to woo the ladies.
Haha, why do I find this info so cute and funny. She’s just the cutest!

Attachments

• IMG_8911.jpeg
    IMG_8911.jpeg
    408.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom