Strange eyes

Aug 1, 2023
Some of my chickens have weird puffy eyes. One side of a chicken vs his other eye.

Attachments

• 99261FFF-9560-4FA1-8481-F9A8CD1ED635.jpeg
    99261FFF-9560-4FA1-8481-F9A8CD1ED635.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 23
  • A837462F-1DF1-41B7-94D8-2139C2E337F9.jpeg
    A837462F-1DF1-41B7-94D8-2139C2E337F9.jpeg
    302.3 KB · Views: 9
How many of your chickens are like this? How old are they? How long have they been like this? Do you see any other symptoms, like sneezing, bubbles in the eyes, any kind of drainage? Have you had any new additions to your flock lately, or been to any shows, auctions, or anywhere where your birds could have been exposed to other birds?

Some of my chickens have weird puffy eyes. One side of a chicken vs his other eye.
Are they new to you?

Have you dealt with respiratory illness within your flock(s) before?

Since you have more than one with a puffy sunken eye, likely you are dealing with a respiratory illness, but without testing, it would be hard to know.

General care is to flush eyes with saline, apply terramycin eye ointment into the eyes. Do this daily.

If symptoms worsen, then you can try an antibiotic like Tylosin or Tiamulin to see if that relieves symptoms. Keep in mind that most respiratory illnesses make birds carriers for life.

How many of your chickens are like this? How old are they? How long have they been like this? Do you see any other symptoms, like sneezing, bubbles in the eyes, any kind of drainage? Have you had any new additions to your flock lately, or been to any shows, auctions, or anywhere where your birds could have been exposed to other birds?
I’ve noticed two or three. My oldest bird is the rooster, I think he’s one or two years old. My youngest birds is some 3 weeks ish old chicks. The only symptom I noticed was the puffy eyes on some. I have not been to any auctions recently, and all my birds are either bought at Tractor Supply, or hatched in my basement.

Back
Top Bottom