Stress after laying first egg?

TinaRew

Songster
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
I suspect our Ducky may have laid her first egg today. She’s 20 weeks old, an Arctic Blue Egger. I’m not positive, but it’s between her and my Easter Egger that it could be.

She’s acting strange to us. She’s still eating fine, but keeps laying down a lot, panting a lot, tail down, and her vent seems to be pulsating more than normal. I checked to see if she was egg bound or maybe had an egg in there (only checked about 1”) and I don’t feel anything. She’s usually skitsy, but seems much more calm and tired today - though not sleeping in like a lethargic/sick way. Just strange. Absolutely no other symptoms that I can see or feel, and poop looks normal. Her comb is always this big and floppy (I believe she’s part legbar). Is it normal to be stressed after laying a first egg? Has anyone else seen this?
IMG_3789.jpeg

I suspect our Ducky may have laid her first egg today. She’s 20 weeks old, an Arctic Blue Egger. I’m not positive, but it’s between her and my Easter Egger that it could be.

She’s acting strange to us. She’s still eating fine, but keeps laying down a lot, panting a lot, tail down, and her vent seems to be pulsating more than normal. I checked to see if she was egg bound or maybe had an egg in there (only checked about 1”) and I don’t feel anything. She’s usually skitsy, but seems much more calm and tired today - though not sleeping in like a lethargic/sick way. Just strange. Absolutely no other symptoms that I can see or feel, and poop looks normal. Her comb is always this big and floppy (I believe she’s part legbar). Is it normal to be stressed after laying a first egg? Has anyone else seen this?
View attachment 3943694
Hi, my Easter Egger started to lay last week and she used to be sweet and nice and even though still sweet, she is very loud and appears to be on distress pretty often, especially before laying eggs. I think this has something to do with the breed? because I have 4 other chickens olive egger, orpingtons, and salmon faverolle and none of them behave like that. I’m considering giving her away 🥺

Hi, my Easter Egger started to lay last week and she used to be sweet and nice and even though still sweet, she is very loud and appears to be on distress pretty often, especially before laying eggs. I think this has something to do with the breed? because I have 4 other chickens olive egger, orpingtons, and salmon faverolle and none of them behave like that. I’m considering giving her away 🥺
It's not breed, it's an individual thing. All my new layers this year (3 different breeds thus far) have been exceptionally noisy before and after they lay. :confused:

If noise ordinances are an issue, then yes rehoming her is probably your best bet.

Have your others begun laying yet? This is actually very normal. I only have one girl that rarely ever made a peep when laying an egg. The rest are loud sometimes before, but often right after laying. It’s their “egg song.” And then, sometimes the others will do it when one starts going! I hope you won’t have to rehome her as I think you’ll find the others likely will do it too once they start laying, or after a few months of laying (some of mine started getting loud months later, like they discovered their voice).

Good post from @TinaRew

@Ela Q
I have one layer so far and the other girls are showing signs. The first layer was quite noisy. Now a couple others are constantly talking or whining.

HOAs and counties have rules against roosters because of the noise but they don't realize the females can be just as noisy and sometimes more. My cockerel crows occasionally but my pullets are pretty consistently chatty.

I wouldn't get rid of a perfect good egg layer... either you accept the noise and give your neighbors eggs as a gift to keep them happy, or you don't have chickens at all.

Back
Top Bottom