Stubborn Chicken

Clumsabella

Chirping
6 Years
May 19, 2017
This spring we purchased 12 chicks of all different types, from naked neck to silkie, and are having a blast raising them. Recently, they have begun laying eggs (June?) and for awhile everything was going smoothly. Our coop has 6 nesting boxes and fake eggs to encourage them to lay inside of the boxes, as well as a general safe area to lay. However, one of our chickens, a golden sex-linked called Mustard, has decided that she doesn’t want to lay in a nesting box and instead lay on the floor or while roosting. I’ve read that one way to stop chickens from doing this is to lock them into the coop to teach them to lay in the boxes, but Mustard lays very early in the morning, around 5, before the door to the coop has been opened. We have no idea how to teach her to lay in the box, and it’s getting annoying trying to hunt down her eggs in the morning. We won’t be killing our chickens so there’s no freezer camp to move her to, but we would love to have her nesting box trained again. Are there any suggestions on how to get her to lay in a box again?

This spring we purchased 12 chicks of all different types, from naked neck to silkie, and are having a blast raising them. Recently, they have begun laying eggs (June?) and for awhile everything was going smoothly. Our coop has 6 nesting boxes and fake eggs to encourage them to lay inside of the boxes, as well as a general safe area to lay. However, one of our chickens, a golden sex-linked called Mustard, has decided that she doesn’t want to lay in a nesting box and instead lay on the floor or while roosting. I’ve read that one way to stop chickens from doing this is to lock them into the coop to teach them to lay in the boxes, but Mustard lays very early in the morning, around 5, before the door to the coop has been opened. We have no idea how to teach her to lay in the box, and it’s getting annoying trying to hunt down her eggs in the morning. We won’t be killing our chickens so there’s no freezer camp to move her to, but we would love to have her nesting box trained again. Are there any suggestions on how to get her to lay in a box again?

Since she is laying early in the morning before the other hens are let out they might be preventing her from getting to the nesting box too lay.

This can be a problem with new layers. Sort of like a toddler that you're trying to potty train, a lot depends on physical maturity and the rest depends on individual willingness to go along with the program. Sometimes, there's not much you can do about it other than wait until the individual gets with the program, one way or the other.

There is a chance that social dynamics are affecting this layer's choice of nesting spot or ability to hold the egg back until she finds an appropriate nest. You will need to observe how this youngster gets along with her peers. If she's appears to be bullied, she may be holding her egg back instead of competing for a nest, and the result is the final letting go of the egg from the roost come early morning or at another inopportune time.

This can be a problem with new layers. Sort of like a toddler that you're trying to potty train, a lot depends on physical maturity and the rest depends on individual willingness to go along with the program. Sometimes, there's not much you can do about it other than wait until the individual gets with the program, one way or the other.

There is a chance that social dynamics are affecting this layer's choice of nesting spot or ability to hold the egg back until she finds an appropriate nest. You will need to observe how this youngster gets along with her peers. If she's appears to be bullied, she may be holding her egg back instead of competing for a nest, and the result is the final letting go of the egg from the roost come early morning or at another inopportune time.
Mustard tends to be at the top of the food chain, and often waits outside before bed to make sure that everyone is accounted for, which I read was a sign of a dominant hen. I’m honestly truly puzzled as to why she’s so adamant on laying outside of the nests, so maybe she is still in a potty training phase as you said. Is there any way to make it more appealing to lay in the nesting box or is it really just a matter of time until she gets the picture?

I think it's a matter of time, and she'll get with the program. All mine who've been out of step in laying in the proper place all eventually managed to fall into line.

How can you be so sure about her motive for hanging around to be last going in to roost? Beware of projecting your own emotional feelings onto your chickens.

It's entirely possible she's last in going in because she's adverse to the conflict accompanying the roosting ritual. As far as I've observed in ten years of chicken watching, I've never seen a chicken displaying such altruistic motives for a specific behavior such as that one.

I think it's a matter of time, and she'll get with the program. All mine who've been out of step in laying in the proper place all eventually managed to fall into line.

How can you be so sure about her motive for hanging around to be last going in to roost? Beware of projecting your own emotional feelings onto your chickens.

It's entirely possible she's last in going in because she's adverse to the conflict accompanying the roosting ritual. As far as I've observed in ten years of chicken watching, I've never seen a chicken displaying such altruistic motives for a specific behavior such as that one.
I agree with what you’re saying, I doubt she actually has her coop mates’ best interests at heart. I have found, however, that there are three chickens in our coop that are never picked on by the others, and she is one. I read that the lead chicken will wait until the others are in before heading to bed herself, and figured that she may have been exhibiting this behaviour, though this is probably not the perfect answer for her actions.

I do come in during the roosting period every night to count the chickens, and have never found Mustard to be shy in taking her place on the roost, or to be on the receiving end of an angry peck. This is why I’ve had such trouble in determining why she is against laying in the nesting boxes. But, as you have explained, she is most likely still learning and has not made the connection between safety and the nesting boxes.

I suppose I hadn’t thought that chickens wouldn’t know instinctively where a good place to lay their egg is. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that since she’s still a young chicken and doesn’t have an older chicken to show her the ins and outs of good habits, she would have to learn on her own. I’m relieved at least that she’ll most likely learn on her own, and am very thankful for all of the input that you provided, as it’ll allow me to stop over thinking some of my flock’s odd quirks and habits knowing that they’re still learning what it is to be a chicken themselves.

All the other pullets are laying in the nests?
Is there any chance it's hard for her to get into a nest?
Pics of nests would help.

Back
Top Bottom