Stuck Egg Membrane in Vent

User4477

Chirping
Jun 24, 2021
Southern California
My 3 year old hen laid egg whites and yolks yesterday and has been straining to lay something afterwards ever since. Last night when she strained, it looked like the shape of an egg coming out of her vent surrounded by what I assume was her uterus but the egg wouldn't come out. The next day, she is still straining but now I just see egg shell/membrane that she is trying to push out but it won't come out.

I already gave her calcium tablets.

I don't know if giving her an epsom salt bath is a good idea since it's over 90 degrees and I don't want her to get dehydrated.

I tried pulling out the membrane with tweezers as she pushed but I only got a tiny piece off.
Any help would be appreciated.

I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet 300-600 mg orally into her beak to swallow. That can help increase muscle contraction. If you only have Tums or other calcium, those can be used until you get the other. She may be having a partial prolapse, and then it goes back inside. But she may be egg bound. Place her in a pen or crate on a clean towel. Do you feed a layer or all flock feed, and do you have crushed oyster shell for extra calcium available? Is she able to pass any droppings?

I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet 300-600 mg orally into her beak to swallow. That can help increase muscle contraction. If you only have Tums or other calcium, those can be used until you get the other. Place her in a pen or crate on a clean towel. Do you feed a layer or all flock feed, and do you have crushed oyster shell for extra calcium available?
I think I may have given her too much calcium. I gave her a tablet last night, one this morning, and another about 3 hours later. I use all flock feed and leave oyster shells available at all times.
She poops a tiny bit, mostly liquid, and it's usually when she's trying to push

Last edited:
I felt under her vent and I don't feel an egg, it just feels like a small balloon. She still hasn't passed the membrane, but is eating, drinking, and moving normally still. I don't know if that means she's not egg bound

I would give her a human calcium citrate with vitamin D tablet 300-600 mg orally into her beak to swallow. That can help increase muscle contraction. If you only have Tums or other calcium, those can be used until you get the other. She may be having a partial prolapse, and then it goes back inside. But she may be egg bound. Place her in a pen or crate on a clean towel. Do you feed a layer or all flock feed, and do you have crushed oyster shell for extra calcium available? Is she able to pass any droppings?
My hen is almost 8 years old and was laying last month for a couple weeks. Now she is lethargic and closing her eyes, could it be a reproductive problem if she hasn't laid in almost 4 weeks? Her poop is solid mostly, but has been liquid today.

Attachments

• IMG_20240625_221054.jpg
    IMG_20240625_221054.jpg
    622.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom