Sudden death - only one lonely pullet - now what?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I really appreciate it. I'm searching for a flock mate but don't know many chicken owners locally and I'm not on FB. I am making that my focus today, somehow, someway, she will have a mate soon.

She cooped super early last night, 90 minutes before dusk. I feel so sad for her. She cries. Breaking my heart. I would bring her in the house if not for the crazy dog who I know would chase and want to 'play' with her.

Here is a picture of her from today. She is doing a lot of standing around and cooing? in a way that I've never heard before over and over. I don't know what to make of that. Didn't have the camera to take a video. I picked her up (forced myself on her) to inspect for injury but she protested loudly. Without further stressing her I released her but the quick once over she is not injured, feet and shanks ok, face ok, I watched her eat and drink as normal. Poop looked normal this AM.

The other pic is the three of them from about three weeks ago. You can see how little the Cinnamon Queen is by comparison.

I've also attached pictures of the coop (3x9) and run (9x12). I don't like the Eglu cube - it's much too small inside. But it's too late now. Hindsight.

This set up makes integration a challenge.

Attachments

• Coop and run side view.JPG
    Coop and run side view.JPG
    932.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Golden comet and Cinnamon Queen.JPG
    Golden comet and Cinnamon Queen.JPG
    752.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Goldie 8.26.24.JPG
    Goldie 8.26.24.JPG
    564.1 KB · Views: 3
  • inside run 1.JPG
    inside run 1.JPG
    918.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Inside run 2.JPG
    Inside run 2.JPG
    948.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Size compare EE Rosie. Comet and Cinnamon queen.JPG
    Size compare EE Rosie. Comet and Cinnamon queen.JPG
    587.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi Lady, I'm sorry for so many questions, but you've been so helpful! 😊
Ok, I took the plunge and found started pullets on line at Valley Hatchery. Most were sold out so I had to choose from available. I chose a Buff Orpington and a Black Asustralorp. I know they get a little larger than the Comet. I think spacing should be ok.

Question on the feed since they are 15-20 weeks old (older than 14 weeks as stated above) - do I put them on grower / starter or allow them to eat the layer feed? Or do I switch them all to an all flock feed at once? This feed thing is so confusing to me with so many choices and brands. How does one really know which are the best?

Somewhere on this site I stumbled upon a spreadsheet comparing feeds, but now I can't find it again. I don't know what's best anyway. I don't want to mess up these birds so I appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Layer feed is usually began about 16 weeks, so layer is fine. I'd give all the vitamins electrolytes in water for transition.

The Golden Comet should be about the same size at full growth as the Orp and BA with the BA possibly topping out as adult. Your pics were hard to tell size but nobody looked terribly wasted away.

Isolation may be very difficult in your close quarters. If you have dog kennels in the garage that might work. There is risk of course, but I've integrated young pullets without prolonged isolation without issue when I didn't know better. Then once I brought in illness and learned better.

Since they are coming from a hatchery I'm less concerned about illness and parasites though check up on arrival.

Since all birds will be new to each other it will take a bit for integration. Usually BA and Orp are congenial. Your Golden Comet is probably based on Buff Orp.

Goldie will be stressed for a bit as she will stress over anything new. But in time they should grow into a nice flock with pecking order.

LofMc

Thank you. I'm feeling better about having newbies soon. I was just out with her and I can't take her lonely cries.
I will isolate them in a crate for observation for a bit outside the run at a distance so they can see each other and still give Goldie her space. Our garage and enclosed porch are both about 120 degrees so that's not an option.
I'm also adding new furniture (logs, perches and a pallet) now so Goldie gets used to those changes before newbies arrive and to give them places to get away, hide or perch if necessary. I'm also going to have two feeding and watering stations at opposite ends of the run.
I plan on spending a lot of time with them initially to make sure Goldie doesn't peck them - she's a pecker.
Thank you again for all the help!!

Just to help, but before you put them together, pull your bird out, and let the new birds explore the coop and run, without being chased. I swear it helps if you old bird can see them in there and the sky does not fall. Have the hide outs, and multiple feed bowls, then as close to dark, just before they roost, let the old girl in with them. The urge to roost is pretty strong, and after a bit of bluster, they will be looking to roost. Either, leave the pop up door open, or get down there early the next morning.

I have had good luck. Often times people keep the strange bird in a smaller pen, and then try and put them in a bigger pen with a dominant birds - they know they are strangers, they are in a strange place, and I swear they bring on the attack. Letting in there before hand, gives them a little territorial rights.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom