Suddenly aggressive hen?

The Coop Crew

Slightly obsessed with chickens 🐔
Premium Feather Member
Jun 5, 2024
Mitten State
My Coop
My Coop
We have a BCM (Rose) who is around 20 weeks old. She has not started laying yet. She has suddenly started coming up to us, puffing her chest out and staring at us. We just push her away when she does this. My oldest (6 years old) sits on the ground and Rose has never bothered her before. Last week she kept coming up to her (chest puffed, ect) and my daughter has just been shoving her away. Well yesterday she actually tried to attack her. Like with her feet. Totally unprovoked. Will this behavior resolve when she starts laying? Or should I just put her in the freezer now? I will not tolerate an aggressive chicken that I have to watch constantly to make sure she isn’t trying to hurt my children.

Please help.

What do you mean by attacked? Scratching at her or like flying up at her?

Are you positive she couldn’t actually be cockerel?
She jumped up and tried to scratch her with her feet. I quickly kicked her away. She didn’t break skin but she did get her.
I’m positive she is not a cockerel unless she’s a REALLY REALLY slow developing cockerel.

Here’s a picture for reference

Attachments

• IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Have you hand fed this bird?
I have had a couple pullets become aggressive like this.
Not sure my solution would be able to be applied by a child.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Have you hand fed this bird?
I have had a couple pullets become aggressive like this.
Not sure my solution would be able to be applied by a child.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
She has eaten meal worms out of our hands at one point and time but it’s been awhile. Shes one of our girls who comes around but doesn’t like being touched/picked up so we just leave her be for the most part. Shes usually “friendly” and this is just so odd for her. I don’t worry about myself but I have a two year old who can’t defend herself. I will definitely try those things and hope it does the trick! Thank you!

You are tolerating aggressive behavior. Why would you keep her? Are you desperate for eggs? I would not keep her, especially with a 2 year old child around.

On the other hand - I would not want my kids sitting on the ground with chickens - just puts their faces too close to beaks.

Mrs K

You are tolerating aggressive behavior. Why would you keep her? Are you desperate for eggs? I would not keep her, especially with a 2 year old child around.

On the other hand - I would not want my kids sitting on the ground with chickens - just puts their faces too close to beaks.

Mrs K
This JUST started happening within the last week.
I am not desperate for eggs. We look at our chickens as pets so it won’t be an easy decision.
My oldest knows to keep her face away from the chickens. We’ve had that discussion many times. My two year old does not sit on the ground for that exact reason.
Thank you for your input.

This JUST started happening within the last week.
I am not desperate for eggs. We look at our chickens as pets so it won’t be an easy decision.
My oldest knows to keep her face away from the chickens. We’ve had that discussion many times. My two year old does not sit on the ground for that exact reason.
Thank you for your input.
You know, I wrote that late last night, after a long day - no excuse, but this morning my post seems less than friendly, and rather critical. If I offended you with my word choice, I apologize.

It is hard to make decisions for the flock. And I am sure you are doing the very best for your kids.

What I should have said was, "These are tough decisions, but an aggressive bird has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of kids."

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom