Swedish Flower Hen Thread

I have poultry netting over mine and it works great. The area is 25 X 50.

Over the smaller pens, we used 6' chicken wire. If your area is larger than 6' but you have a good stable fence, you can use it in 6' strips vertically across and use hog rings to connect the strips.

Hawks can actually get into poultry netting believe it or not.

Last edited:
The stuff I used is the heavy duty woven nylon. It has been up a year with out incident. I have it over 11 different areas. My biggest problem with it is they doubled the price since I bought mine. You can see it in this picture.
That's also what my relatives use. They let the chickens out in the run, heard commotion and looked out the window a hawk had squeezed its way through

So is it true that Swedish Flower Roosters are never aggressive as Greenfire state on their website? I just gave away my Buff Brahma roo - he was too rough on the hens - and need a replacement asap. But I already had to let go of a gorgeous Welsumer roo earlier who was good with the ladies but mean to me, so I am trying to find a breed that is known for being nice - both to the hens and me. I had been thinking Sussex, but then just came across the info about SFH...

The ones I've had are gentle with the ladies but will fight another cock without a second thought. As far as mean roosters I ain't had one toward me my wife or kids and that includes gamefowl.

I have sense moved on too a project with my sfh and a game bloodline so I no longer have a sfh roo but they all seemed real good natured.

I certainly hope this is true about the SFH roosters! My dream is coming true and I have 7 SFH eggs in the incubator. I'm sure there will be some little roos among them... let's hope not all 7! LOL We had to eat our Australorp rooster because he was mean to the hen and everything else, especially us.

I just love this breed. Every time I see them I think they're the most beautiful chooks. Hubby and I are into homesteading a bit, but I'd also like to eventually work on some "projects." For now they will be gorgeous layers.

They are gorgeous birds that is no doubt one of the best that's why I choose them and have drove 5hrs to get a bloodline I wanted. I need to take some pictures of my ladies now at laying age.

So is it true that Swedish Flower Roosters are never aggressive as Greenfire state on their website? I just gave away my Buff Brahma roo - he was too rough on the hens - and need a replacement asap. But I already had to let go of a gorgeous Welsumer roo earlier who was good with the ladies but mean to me, so I am trying to find a breed that is known for being nice - both to the hens and me. I had been thinking Sussex, but then just came across the info about SFH...

mine does like to right with the other roosters a bit more then most males but he is not aggressive to me

Being aggressive to other roosters is not a problem as he will be an only rooster in our flock.
What is a good place to order from? Should I go with Meyer? All my other chicks are from there and they are all great (except for the roos that is...).

Back
Top Bottom