Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't clear with my message. I know they don't eat layer feed. I read somewhere that they should have a different feed with more protein and was wondering if you all feed any certain brand as they did better.....I wish I remembered where that was. I was also interested in your thoughts on what is best to feed a flock. Thank you for your help and sorry for the confusion.

My flock gets feather fixer its 20 or 22% its tiny pellets and i add a bit of cracked corn to the mix and free choice shells and mine seem to do better laying this way than layer feed and are doing great through their molt.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't clear with my message. I know they don't eat layer feed. I read somewhere that they should have a different feed with more protein and was wondering if you all feed any certain brand as they did better.....I wish I remembered where that was. I was also interested in your thoughts on what is best to feed a flock. Thank you for your help and sorry for the confusion.

Brand is really irrelevant, Purina owns most of them anyways... or at least it seems like they do. They are a huge parent company.

The only thing that matters to me is nutrient levels and ingredients. Not the amount of $ spent on advertising or making their bag look fancy.

I personally will probably never switch to layer as I feel it doesn't meet MY goals. I like more protein and having calcium on the side. Flock raiser is a little higher priced because protein cost more than OS and that's the trade off. A 50# bag of OS is about $11.

It's my understanding that feather fixer is not for birds under 16 weeks.

Well my sole flower hen chick grew into a rather pretty pullet... :)
P1240161_c.JPG

And I managed to buy her two friends of a similar age...
P1230745_c.JPG

And then this weekend, these little guys hatched...
IMG_6632_c.jpg
IMG_6683_c.jpg

Attachments

• P1240155.JPG
    P1240155.JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 6
Cree57i, your birds are amazing.

What do you all do to prepare your flock for a hurricane? Never had chickens with a hurricane threat before.
I'm in Tennessee on a hill. We had about 5 inches of rain from Harvey, but things are drying out now. Prayers for all of you experiencing bad weather. I have friends in MT and they are having a terrible fire season too. IDK if you can prepare for a cat 5 hurricane. Probably best to pack everybody up and go inland.

Back
Top Bottom