Sweetcorn, what happened?

Yes, I try to avoid pesticides too. But, no bees harmed when the plants are little, and no beans present yet. Plus, I’m not gardening to feed the pests! But, I try to walk the fine line of treating things only if bad infestation or to protect the new sprouts, yet not harm the beneficial insects. We have a healthy population of praying mantis, parasitic wasps, spiders and ladybugs, plus some bees.

Beans are just fine as a cover crop

Yes I definitely fed more pests than us this year 🤣

Sorry about your corn! I always hand pollinate mine to better guarantee my cob fills out.

For beans, I save up empty toilet paper rolls throughout the year and squish em in the soil in an upright position around each seed. Looks silly, but it protects your seedlings very well. Another trick I've used around all types of seedlings is to put crushed egg shells around them. Slithery pests hate it and will go away.

Sorry about your corn! I always hand pollinate mine to better guarantee my cob fills out.

For beans, I save up empty toilet paper rolls throughout the year and squish em in the soil in an upright position around each seed. Looks silly, but it protects your seedlings very well. Another trick I've used around all types of seedlings is to put crushed egg shells around them. Slithery pests hate it and will go away.

Great tips thank you! The corn that did fill out was enjoyed by the chickens so they were pleased but next year hand pollination for sure ☺️

This is called ear pullback and is a sign of poor nutrition or overpopulation.
There is no excuse for poor nutrition if you have chickens! You can apply 5 tons of chicken manure per acre which comes to about 250lbs per 1000 SQ ft. The FRESHER the better. Just mix it in soil as fresh as possible before you plant. Manure loses nitrogen the longer it sits and corn needs a lot of nitrogen. The soil will help hold it in

For planting population, usually 14 inch square grids work best for me. So each stalk 14 inches from each other. Plant corn starting early spring in blocks of 100sqft, then you won't need to worry about pollination. Pollination problems look like skipped kernels instead of pullback like you have there.

This is called ear pullback and is a sign of poor nutrition or overpopulation.
There is no excuse for poor nutrition if you have chickens! You can apply 5 tons of chicken manure per acre which comes to about 250lbs per 1000 SQ ft. The FRESHER the better. Just mix it in soil as fresh as possible before you plant. Manure loses nitrogen the longer it sits and corn needs a lot of nitrogen. The soil will help hold it in

For planting population, usually 14 inch square grids work best for me. So each stalk 14 inches from each other. Plant corn starting early spring in blocks of 100sqft, then you won't need to worry about pollination. Pollination problems look like skipped kernels instead of pullback like you have there.
To those saying poor pollination it's not. This pic is poor pollination. The OP has tip pullback from low nutrients or overpopulation
th-3291965686.jpg

A few things about pollination. Corn can self pollinate. I've had corn separated by 6 feet from any other plant due to late spring freeze and it gave 2 full ears. It probably dropped pollen straight down on itself.

Most poor pollination comes from heat, drought stress, disease or nutrient competition during silking, or insect damage to the silks. Not really from lack of pollen on the silks.
Aborts are pollinated but the corn doesn't fill the seed to preserve nutrients to other kernels. This can cause the tip back shown by the OP.

Thanks everyone, the DE I will try this.

Over population and nutrition could be an issue.

I tried the three sisters so I had runner beans, corn and squash. But I also threw in a couple of cabbages, broccoli and cauli.

The brassicas did great until the butterflies demolished them but that was my fault with the not good enough protection.

The squash grew plenty of male flowers but no female and the beans as I said destroyed by black bug things.

We didn't have chickens until May so not much compost during the growing season.

Next year I have a plan with the help of all your tips my corn will be a success! I hope 😂

Back
Top Bottom