Switching feed

Mechanic1987

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 19, 2007
Anniston, Ala.
We need to buy some feed; we have 5 week olds, would it be ok to switch from medicated stater to grower now or buy the stater and switch at 8 weeks to grower. The way they eat now they will be finished with a bag of stater in 3 more weeks.
Thank You,

if your out of starter feed.an want to switch feed.id go ahead an switch feeds now.esp since you have to buy feed anyway.

When I was researching this myself last year, a couple of sources that I read suggested that medicated feed be fed until 14 weeks to obtain the best protection. Now, that said, feed manufacturers often suggest that grower be started at 8 weeks. For me, if I had the option (I didn't have grower in my area) I'd probably go with the medicated feed longer to be sure that I covered all of my bases in that regard. With no grower in my area, I kept them on medicated feed until 17 weeks when I began switching slowly to lay feed. This had me switching to lay feed earlier than I would have liked, but I wanted them off of medicated feed before the first egg was laid.

Is is important to feed a medicated feed? Our feed store sold us a high protein turkey feed and when we went back for more they were out so we had to get chicken feed that was a lower protein

Coccidiosis is caused by coccidia. Coccidia is protozoan parasite, not a bacteria, so antibiotics will not help. I think you need either the vaccination or the medicated feed or raise your flock in cages that are kept spotlessly clean.

Medicated feed contains Amprolium, a coccidiostat to help prevent coccidiosis. A coccidiostat blocks thiamin in the bird's system. Thiamin is what coccidia thrives on. As they multiply in the birds' intestines they rob the birds of all of the nutrients the birds need to grow and to stay healthy.

We kept our flock on Medicated Start & Grow feed until they were ready for Layer feed.

I went to the feed store and bought the medicated starter. It was almost a very expensive bag. There was a wreck that happened as we were going to the store, thankfully we were not involved. We had to stick around as witnesess, and no one was injured.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I looked at the label and the turkey feed is medicated. The other bag he sold me is not and is labeled for hens in production. I am mixing the two so they still get some medicated feed until I feed up the other.

How long do they need to stay in medicated and then what do they need to eat?

Back
Top Bottom