Swollen chicken feet with white bumps

Greetings SueHasChickens,

So, you decided to do surgery to remove the uric acid. It's good that you are a retired Paramedic, you understand pathology and proper treatment. This is fortunate for your chicken. Sounds like you are on top of things.

I have read other threads re:gout and needling, to remove the uric acid. But, haven't seen any follow through with accurate information as to procedures and medicinal treatments, and whether the recovery was achieved. This is such valuable information, because most chicken health books don't offer treatments other than altering diet by reducing protein, coconut water, ACV and adding vitamin A. I've only read a reference to surgery on a bird health site.

I am following this case, thank you for the update. :pop

I will say a prayer for your little hen, that she heals soon, under your good care.

God Bless :)

Greetings SueHasChickens,

So, you decided to do surgery to remove the uric acid. It's good that you are a retired Paramedic, you understand pathology and proper treatment. This is fortunate for your chicken. Sounds like you are on top of things.

I have read other threads re:gout and needling, to remove the uric acid. But, haven't seen any follow through with accurate information as to procedures and medicinal treatments, and whether the recovery was achieved. This is such valuable information, because most chicken health books don't offer treatments other than altering diet by reducing protein, coconut water, ACV and adding vitamin A. I've only read a reference to surgery on a bird health site.

I am following this case, thank you for the update. :pop

I will say a prayer for your little hen, that she heals soon, under your good care.

God Bless :)
Thank you, I could not find anything on removing them, it’s just felt like the correct thing. I did wait until it was very pronounced. I will let you know what happens :) I’m so appreciative of your help.

It sounds more like puss under the skin which would seem more in line with mycoplasma synovitis or a staph infection. Glad that you were able to get the material out. It might help to get some antibiotics from a vet, who could also culture the puss like material to help diagnose it.

Thank you, I could not find anything on removing them, it’s just felt like the correct thing. I did wait until it was very pronounced. I will let you know what happens :) I’m so appreciative of your help.

Internet doctoring, does have a lot of room for error. We only have pictures and some symptom detail provided by the keeper. These two conditions have similar swelling of the joints.

It can very well be that it is MS, as Eggcessive has suggested. One of the symptoms described for MS, is that the swollen area will be hot to the touch.

Perhaps it is time for a visit to the Vet?

5EB2B312-D606-4E4B-8A63-D1136918427D.jpeg
ADEEE169-230C-44FE-B13E-D626E090C10F.jpeg
362C7EE6-6008-40C3-8121-0EF1833E0119.jpeg
5405817D-B064-499E-A6B7-FBE732891DD8.jpeg
Internet doctoring, does have a lot of room for error. We only have pictures and some symptom detail provided by the keeper. These two conditions have similar swelling of the joints.

It can very well be that it is MS, as Eggcessive has suggested. One of the symptoms described for MS, is that the swollen area will be hot to the touch.

Perhaps it is time for a visit to the Vet?
Hi everyone!
I am very happy to report that this morning the girl was up, she ate most her kale, toast with butter, carrots and lower protein feed. I let her out to walk around a little she was hungry and ate aggressively for the first time in days. For an easy comparison I have attached some pictures of her feet today before I unwrapped her bandage along size of her feet three days ago before her diet change. The next picture is her little face, then the ulcer today with the bandage removed. I soaked her other foot in Epsom salt and then her other foot with the removed ulcer in a benidine solution soak for a few minutes. I wrapped her like a baby again before I unwrapped her foot to take a look without the bandage. I did cover her head with the towel but the picture is of her little face before it was covered. I did get a tiny bit more puss out of her wound but it looked like it was closing nicely (it was only a pin prick). I used gloves and tried to be a sterile as possible. I also applied benidine to the wound, then covered it with a benidine soaked paper dressing and re wrapped it with vet wrap. I put her back into her cage with clean hay for a bed. She ate and seemed good. Thank you for your help. Although we are not ina remote area there seems to be a shortage of Vets that take care of birds/chickens. However I think I have found one. I will keep you updated. Thank you all so much. Thoughts ?

1D646444-9600-4D61-A4EA-FE72CB2DE23A.jpeg
C721947E-AD52-4536-A4E1-77554DE84DDB.jpeg
Here she is a picture of her tonight, she had a second much smaller white ulcer breaking out in that same foot but the other side of the foot, the ulcer was almost broken out on its own, it was red around it. I treated it the same as the first and it immediately went to normal color and not as swollen. If I pushed gently on the bottom of her foot between her toes under where the small ulcer was it all came out of the pin prick hole. Her feet don’t feel as warm any more. I also gave her some fresh Aloe Vera leaf cut in half (we grow it here) she liked it. She’s alert and seemed comfortable going to sleep on her fresh hay bed. Her chest healed up right away from sleeping on the soft bedding. Big thanks for that advice also!

Attachments

• AEE942E3-4A40-4D3B-8B26-422ED5C5144F.jpeg
    AEE942E3-4A40-4D3B-8B26-422ED5C5144F.jpeg
    727.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 0B6B2662-5464-4515-89D2-387B42A00AD0.jpeg
    0B6B2662-5464-4515-89D2-387B42A00AD0.jpeg
    915.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom