Swollen eye

Cluckyz

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2022
These two pictures are about a week apart. No sneezing or smell or lethargy. She is a new addition but her and another hen we got from the same place are being quarantined separately from my flock. The other hen doesnt seem to have any issues and her eyes are fine. Any idea what this could be? Her other eyes looks a lot better but not 100%.
20230209_141256.jpg
20230217_162402.jpg

I’m not an expert, but I would say :
1) Synthomycine, that’s a thing you put on the eye.
2) check if her eyes react to light.
3) give her lots of water, and let her rest.
4) trim her beak.
5) soak eye using a tea bag.
NOT NECESSARILY IN THIS ORDER.

She might have gotten pecked in the eye, or has a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) I cannot see her colored iris and pupil in her eye, just black and the pink conjunctiva appears reddish. If it is totally black, I would be concerned that she is blinded.

She might have gotten pecked in the eye, or has a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) I cannot see her colored iris and pupil in her eye, just black and the pink conjunctiva appears reddish. If it is totally black, I would be concerned that she is blinded.
So i think she IS. I brought her out and her pupils did not change in either eye. So now i dont think they are swollen but rather she is squinting? Could this be ocular Mareks? I dont want to cull her if i dont have to.
20230218_165436.jpg
20230218_165430.jpg

She probably is squinting because her pupils are not constricting (getting smaller) as normal eyes do when in bright light. Blindness in chickens can be caused by numerous things, such as vitamin E or A deficiency, a virus called avian encphalomyelitis or epidemic tremors, cataracts, injury, and Mareks disease. I do not think this looks like Mareks disease, though. Chickens in familiar areas where feeder and waterer is reached easily may do okay if blind. I had a chicken blind in one eye who did well.

She probably is squinting because her pupils are not constricting (getting smaller) as normal eyes do when in bright light. Blindness in chickens can be caused by numerous things, such as vitamin E or A deficiency, a virus called avian encphalomyelitis or epidemic tremors, cataracts, injury, and Mareks disease. I do not think this looks like Mareks disease, though. Chickens in familiar areas where feeder and waterer is reached easily may do okay if blind. I had a chicken blind in one eye who did well.
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom