Swollen Vent? Advice Appreciated

mikechickens

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 23, 2014
Good Evening
Our two week old Cochin chick appears to have a swollen vent (see photo). About a week ago she had a pasty but that had to be cleaned with warm water a couple of times. We noticed a tiny bit of dried poo today that we cleaned. She is eating and pooping. Haven't experienced this before (only my second batch of chicks I have raised). Does this looks swollen? Anything I should do? Advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Mike

1713840467780.jpeg

Thanks, I noticed that she is having some trouble pooping. Coming out slow and she is chirping unhappily and pecking at her bottom. I am guessing because of the swelling. Is hydrocortisone cream best? What do people use?

Thanks, I noticed that she is having some trouble pooping. Coming out slow and she is chirping unhappily and pecking at her bottom. I am guessing because of the swelling. Is hydrocortisone cream best? What do people use?
I don't know what people use, but I use anti-inflammatory cream (Hydrocortisone).

If she's having a hard time pooping, then make sure she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes in the water for part of the day, then switch to plain water for the rest of the day. Offer wet soupy feed to help with water intake if necessary.

Provide chick grit (crushed granite) free choice.

If you wish, you can apply a small amount of anti-inflammatory ointment/cream to the vent for a few days.

I don't know what people use, but I use anti-inflammatory cream (Hydrocortisone).

If she's having a hard time pooping, then make sure she's staying hydrated. Electrolytes in the water for part of the day, then switch to plain water for the rest of the day. Offer wet soupy feed to help with water intake if necessary.

Provide chick grit (crushed granite) free choice.
Thank you! I tried some hydrocortisone ointment, but that just had her pecking at her bottom. Appreciate the other suggestions, started those yesterday. Great suggestion with the grit, I hadn't started that yet but have now. She seems to be having an easier time now!

Back
Top Bottom