Terrified Girls - Hawk Questions

I am one who has had a hawk kill a bird right in front of me. It happened so fast I didn't have time to react. It didn't take her but did kill her. I had another incident where I had some chicks out in a little temporary pen and a hawk swooped in and grabbed a chick and took off with it while I was standing right next to them. Again it happened so fast there wasn't any time to react except to watch the hawk fly off with the chick. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators and it's a risk I'm not willing to take anymore. If you're distracted for a moment a predator may sneak in and take the the advantage of an opportunity. Now my birds all have nice large secure pens. Luckily I have the space. Good luck...

I heard a cry this morning, and when I looked out the window, my 6 girls were piled in the corner of their covered run behind their waterer, frozen in fear. Then I noticed a hawk on the ground about 4 feet from their run. As soon a I raised the blinds the hawk flew away, but it took the girls a good 2 hours to calm down.

I have some questions and concerns.

1) Our run is covered with a shingles roof, and lined completely with hardware wire. Can a hawk get in past all that? Are they motivated enough to bother?

2) Now that the hawk knows there are chickens in the neighborhood, will it continue to return?

3) When both of us are home, we let the girls out to scratch in the backyard (with us actively supervising). Will a hawk come after them while we are present?

4) Are there any effective ways to deter the hawk from coming back?

Thank you.
Yes they will come back. Not usually will they tear into dwelling as they typically want quick exits! Owls will through! And Yes in front of you if a clear easy attack is available they'll try! Walmart makes a large deer netting for 7 dollars or so and you can buy posts there also or use any wood stake to staple gun a cover similar to aviary over entire area to deter the attacks! It will give them time to hide! Good luck!

No the hawk wont break in your run as long as its tight. Also the hawk will return so Id only let them free range when your here to monitor and yes some hawks are not afraid of humans and will attack chicken even when your here I had a hawk kill my chick cozy infront of me and my family but we threw a rock at the hawk and it flew away. I suggest getting more black chickens as they trick hawks that there crows and the hawk wont attack any full black chickens well it works for most people I know at tricking the hawks. If you dont have any space for more chickens Id hang Cds around your run to scare the hawks and lots of fake crows.
I would not count on hawks not attacking black chickens. We’ve lost multiple australorps and jersey giants to hawks.

No the hawk wont break in your run as long as its tight. Also the hawk will return so Id only let them free range when your here to monitor and yes some hawks are not afraid of humans and will attack chicken even when your here I had a hawk kill my chick cozy infront of me and my family but we threw a rock at the hawk and it flew away. I suggest getting more black chickens as they trick hawks that there crows and the hawk wont attack any full black chickens well it works for most people I know at tricking the hawks. If you dont have any space for more chickens Id hang Cds around your run to scare the hawks and lots of fake crows.
The CD's work. Especially when there is a breeze, even a slight one to cause them to twirl. Significantly reduced the number of sightings and I have a Coopers Hawk nesting nearby. Otherwise I am the hawk deterrent. My girls stay very near me in the yard "for protection". General rule, I only give them yard time or free range time when I am out working. Hawks do seem to be hesitant from what I have experienced but I don't doubt they would and could make an attack when I am not expecting it. If you see your chickens looking up, THEY KNOW! This alerts me. My chickens also run for cover...I didn't have to teach them this!! LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom