Texas

Laura - Now, how could I temp anyone????

....I MUST STAY ON MY DIET!
hit.gif
You're evil!
hide.gif

I'm actually, technically, on a diet with another BYCer. We're chubby buddies! However, I like making treats more than I like eating them. I know, it sounds very backwards, haha! When I made those empanadas and the pumpkin bread, while they were both delicious, I only ate two slices of pumpkin bread and two empanadas. And that was throughout the week, not in a single day. I think I just prefer knowing people like the food. And it's fun to bake, hehe! I like leisurely baking, it's more fun!
wink.png

I have a really good biscuit recipe from America's Test Kitchen...or Cooks Country. It takes a little while because you roll the biscuits over and over into layers, but they go from about 1/2 inch to 2 inches in the oven. As a matter-of-fact, if you use too narrow of a biscuit cutter they fall over! Do not open the oven during baking.

FLAKY BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Makes 12 biscuits. Published January 1, 2006.
The dough is a bit sticky when it comes together and during the first set of turns. Set aside about 1 cup of extra flour for dusting the work surface, dough, and rolling pin to prevent sticking. Be careful not to incorporate large pockets of flour into the dough when folding it over. When cutting the biscuits, press down with firm, even pressure; do not twist the cutter. The recipe may be prepared through step 2, transferred to a zipper-lock freezer bag, and frozen for several weeks. Let the mixture sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before proceeding.

***MY NOTE: THE SECRET TO THE FLAKE SEEMS TO BE THE COLDER THE BUTTER STAYS, THE BETTER –AND- YOU SHOULD SEE CHUNKS OF BUTTER IN THE DOUGH WHEN YOU ROLL IT OUT***

**Biscuits not as many flaky layers when recipe was doubled.**

2 ½

cups
unbleached all-purpose flour (12 1/2 ounces), plus additional flour for work surface (I’ve had the BEST luck using 9.1 ounces of bread flour/3.4 ounces cake flour)

tablespoon
baking powder
½

teaspoon baking soda

teaspoon
table salt

tablespoons vegetable shortening , cut into 1/2-inch chunks

tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), cold, lightly floured and cut into 1/8-inch slices (Do NOT use Falfurias butter…they don’t rise as well)

tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
1 1/4

cups low-fat buttermilk , cold

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.

2. Add shortening to flour mixture; break up chunks with fingertips until only small, pea-sized pieces remain. Working in batches, drop butter slices into flour mixture and toss to coat; pick up each slice of butter and press between floured fingertips into flat, nickel-sized pieces (see illustration at right). Repeat until all butter is incorporated; toss to combine. Freeze mixture (in bowl) until chilled, about 15 minutes.

3. Put down plastic wrap over counter using the wet/wipe stick method. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of extra flour across area; gently spread flour across work surface with palm to form thin, even coating. Add all but 2 tablespoons of buttermilk to flour mixture (I HAVE NEVER HAD TO USE THE WHOLE EXTRA 2 TBSP); stir briskly with fork until ball forms and no dry bits of flour are visible, adding remaining buttermilk as needed (dough will be sticky and shaggy but should clear sides of bowl). With rubber spatula, transfer dough onto center of prepared work surface, dust surface lightly with flour, and, with floured hands, bring dough together into cohesive ball.

4. Pat dough into approximate 10-inch square; roll into 18 by 14-inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, dusting dough and rolling pin with flour as needed. Following illustrations below, using bench scraper or thin metal spatula, fold dough into thirds, brushing any excess flour from surface; lift short end of dough and fold in thirds again to form approximate 6 by 4-inch rectangle. Rotate dough 90 degrees, dusting work surface underneath with flour; roll and fold dough again, dusting with flour as needed.

5. Roll dough into 10-inch square about 1/2 inch thick; flip dough and cut nine 3-inch rounds with floured biscuit cutter, dipping cutter back into flour after each cut. Carefully invert and transfer rounds to ungreased baking sheet, spaced 1 inch apart. Gather dough scraps into ball; roll and fold once or twice until scraps form smooth dough. Roll dough into 1/2-inch-thick round; cut three more 3-inch rounds and transfer to baking sheet. Discard excess dough.

6. Brush biscuit tops with safflower oil. Bake, without opening oven door, until tops are golden brown and crisp, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
You got an invite for soup, didn't you????
My buddy found one on a range we were running for an army shootout.
He made it his deployment patch! Walked around and scared the crap out our NCOIC! It was wet your pants funny!
gig.gif

You're evil!
hide.gif

I'm actually, technically, on a diet with another BYCer. We're chubby buddies! However, I like making treats more than I like eating them. I know, it sounds very backwards, haha! When I made those empanadas and the pumpkin bread, while they were both delicious, I only ate two slices of pumpkin bread and two empanadas. And that was throughout the week, not in a single day. I think I just prefer knowing people like the food. And it's fun to bake, hehe! I like leisurely baking, it's more fun!
wink.png
You sound like me. I love to bake but I don't eat them. My husband does! heheehee I have a young man at church who will come over with his 'dying calf in a hail storm' look and I know he is wanting some kind of goodies!

Lisa :)

I let the baby ducks play in the bath tub last night to get some of the mud off of them. Them I gave them a little chicken feed soaked in warm water. They ate it all up!

Last edited:
Bought some ducklings from TSC a couple of years ago. Thought I would raise them and teach them to go swim in my stock tank and roost in the chicken coop. I put a wash tub in the ground for them to swim in. Most of them drowned in that tub. I don't know what kind of ducks they were, but eat and grew so fast that they did not float until they put on their mature feathers. Once they found the tank they never left it and the Bobcats ate the rest. No ducks for me I guess.

These babies were "found" by someone and they called me since I have chickens. Lol! I don't know what to do with ducks. They were muddy and cold. I don't know how old they are, they have a few tail feathers but their wings are so small!!!

These babies were "found" by someone and they called me since I have chickens. Lol! I don't know what to do with ducks. They were muddy and cold. I don't know how old they are, they have a few tail feathers but their wings are so small!!!
there is a thread called "hatch day is today" or better yet a lady with the handle " Miss Lydia" she's the duck lady

baby ducks don't have the oil on their feathers to keep them a float for very long...so they will drown...Mama duck takes them for short dips is all..

Back
Top Bottom