Texas

Im having raccoon problems. I trapped one, but it escaped. I was in the backyard today, so i let the chickens out of their runs. A raccoon came into the chicken yard and grabbed my oldest hen. She was almost 9 years old. I feel horrible because I couldn't get to her in time. He killed her before he got over the fence. I shot at him but don't think I hit him. I have the trap set again.
They will be staying in their runs from now on.

Hi everyone! I'm in NE Texas and I need find a new home for my 1-year-old Black Australorp rooster. He's hand raised and good at taking care of his girls. I won't have enough space or hens to keep him happy as I need to downsize my flock due to chronic shoulder/feet problems making it impossible to care for that many chickens anymore. Please let me know if you'd be interested in him! I hope everyone is managing well in all this heat.

Attachments

• IMG_E0462.JPG
    IMG_E0462.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Im having raccoon problems. I trapped one, but it escaped. I was in the backyard today, so i let the chickens out of their runs. A raccoon came into the chicken yard and grabbed my oldest hen. She was almost 9 years old. I feel horrible because I couldn't get to her in time. He killed her before he got over the fence. I shot at him but don't think I hit him. I have the trap set again.
I'm so sorry Janie 😢 :hugs

Hi everyone! I'm in NE Texas and I need find a new home for my 1-year-old Black Australorp rooster. He's hand raised and good at taking care of his girls. I won't have enough space or hens to keep him happy as I need to downsize my flock due to chronic shoulder/feet problems making it impossible to care for that many chickens anymore. Please let me know if you'd be interested in him! I hope everyone is managing well in all this heat.
What a handsome boy! I hope you find him a good home!

He is beautiful. Good luck finding him a good home. I usually rehome mine on Craigslist.

Oh no, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. A neighbor just up the road from me lost 2 roosters about a week ago to a huge racoon. They are one of my biggest worries for my chickens where I live so had to make the decision to keep them in their run too.

Oh no, I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. A neighbor just up the road from me lost 2 roosters about a week ago to a huge racoon. They are one of my biggest worries for my chickens where I live so had to make the decision to keep them in their run too.
Yeah its so hard to keep them locked up when its hot. At least their runs are shady. And I have three fans running during the day.

Speaking of hot...

Any tips for keeping chickens cool on really hot days in southern Texas heat?

This is what my setup is and what I am currently doing. I see them panting a lot.

I have a TSC coop/run that my chickens lay under the coop when it gets really hot out. I have a sunshade over the run and I will take an aluminum pan out and put some ice cubes and cold water in it for them. Most of the time, they seem to just want the shade, but it depends on the chicken. I also open the gate during the day to let them free range.

Thanks,
Frank
Shade and a breeze. Maybe some wattered down sand. I worked all day in the heat even through the light rain we had today. It's so freaking hot. The new pen is nearly done. Grow outs will be in it tomorrow. 🥰

Will still need to add more pea gravel to it with big chunck mulch and sand. But roost bars go in tomorrow with two pavers to hold the waterer and food. The tarp It's tied down as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom