Texas

I'm not sure what Grandma uses, though I'd assume lard. She doesn't cook them as much anymore. What I do know is that Dad used to trade his bean tacos for chorizo/egg when they worked in the fields because the other pickers knew that Grandma made the best flour tortillas. Dad would trade up, haha!
woot.gif

I used shortening because that was what was recommended to me. I also just used my hands because I wanted to make sure the texture was right. It all worked out and they were flexible and delicious. Part of me wants to make the "sweet" tortillas my sister makes, so I'm going to try that later. They are just a hint sweeter than the ones I made and are meant to be eaten plain. Mmmm, I can't wait to try it out. I'll have to make a new batch of normal tortillas, though. Nobody else seems to like the sweet ones, hmph.
idunno.gif
Sweet tortillas sound good to me. Never had any though. There had been some new "gourmet" tortillas that come out this past year that had flax seed and blue corn in them and they had a slightly sweet flavor I thought was good. But then the company changed the recipe to make the tortillas have a more "flour tortilla" texture instead of the slightly grainy texture they originally had and now I don't think they taste as sweet or as good as the original more "corn tortilla" textured ones.

Sweet tortillas sound good to me. Never had any though. There had been some new "gourmet" tortillas that come out this past year that had flax seed and blue corn in them and they had a slightly sweet flavor I thought was good. But then the company changed the recipe to make the tortillas have a more "flour tortilla" texture instead of the slightly grainy texture they originally had and now I don't think they taste as sweet or as good as the original more "corn tortilla" textured ones.

Those sound good, but I can see why they'd change the consistency. Flour tortillas are meant to be soft and pliable, which you don't often get from store brands. I mean, they are great when you really need them, but if I had a choice, I'd choose homemade and well-made flour tortillas. At our local HEB, the ladies there made the flour tortillas fresh and they are excellent. I'm hoping I can make the flour tortillas tomorrow. I have to put it off so we can have them fresh with fajitas tomorrow afternoon. I hope everyone will be here so they can taste them. I might even make some corn tortillas for fun. I seasoned the comal yesterday so it is prepped for cooking those tortillas!

I have issues with corn tortillas from the store. They are good, but lately they've been oddly dry. They don't soften up at all. I now know all the local restaurants that make their own corn tortillas because they are soft, slightly thicker, and they just have a much fresher flavor. It's pretty fantastic.

Those sound good, but I can see why they'd change the consistency. Flour tortillas are meant to be soft and pliable, which you don't often get from store brands. I mean, they are great when you really need them, but if I had a choice, I'd choose homemade and well-made flour tortillas. At our local HEB, the ladies there made the flour tortillas fresh and they are excellent. I'm hoping I can make the flour tortillas tomorrow. I have to put it off so we can have them fresh with fajitas tomorrow afternoon. I hope everyone will be here so they can taste them. I might even make some corn tortillas for fun. I seasoned the comal yesterday so it is prepped for cooking those tortillas!

I have issues with corn tortillas from the store. They are good, but lately they've been oddly dry. They don't soften up at all. I now know all the local restaurants that make their own corn tortillas because they are soft, slightly thicker, and they just have a much fresher flavor. It's pretty fantastic.
Yes - the corn tortillas seem to be getting drier all the time. I ended up making a casserole for dinner last week instead of enchiladas because I couldn't get the tortillas to actually roll up without breaking. One of these days I will just make my own tortillas. Taking slow steps to become more self sufficient. Have been making homemade butter for a year now and have canned chicken broth from some chickens we butchered recently. So maybe making my own tortillas won't be too far off in the future.

Yes - the corn tortillas seem to be getting drier all the time. I ended up making a casserole for dinner last week instead of enchiladas because I couldn't get the tortillas to actually roll up without breaking. One of these days I will just make my own tortillas. Taking slow steps to become more self sufficient. Have been making homemade butter for a year now and have canned chicken broth from some chickens we butchered recently. So maybe making my own tortillas won't be too far off in the future.

So it's not just me! I found it so odd that all the tortillas we bought were dry or broken. We just buy the maiz from the grocery store. Add a little water to the mix and I'm set. We also have a tortilla press, but I don't really use it. I probably should, though. It would make things easier...oh well, I like rolling them out by hand. I also use a "rolling pin" (it's just a wooden dowel rod) powdered with more maiz. I like making them, but I think I prefer the flour tortillas. They feel more like real dough.

Okay don't faint, but I have not heard of this soup.  It looks delicious.  I don't suppose you would give out the recipe?:bow

Lisa :)

I am a soup nut. I grew up in Mexico where this soup was common. The recipes is my wife and I don't know it. She puts her own spin on things. My favorite soup in the world though, is Fish soup the way I learned to make it while living with the Aztecs. I know that to most Texans it is almost a sin to mention fish and soup in the same sentence, but it is trully the best soup I know of. I invites a friend over once to try it. After he controlled his gag reflex and tasted it, he his wife and two kids stayed all day and finishes off the 8 quart pot I had cooked. They beg me to make it all the time now, but the main ingredient, fresh caught scale fish, is difficult to come by in this drought.

on may smartphone. Sorry for the typos.

Last edited:
I admire anyone that can pat out tortillas by hand...that dough can be stubborn!! :D

I use a long dowel type rolling pin that does not have tapered ends.

**I thought I sent this last night!***

I am a soup nut. I grew up in Mexico where this soup was common. The recipes is my wife and I don't know it. She puts her own spin on things. My favorite soup in the world though, is Fish soup the way I learned to make it while living with the Aztecs. I know that to most Texans it is almost a sin to mention fish and soup in the same sentence, but it is trully the best soup I know of. I invites a friend over once to try it. After he controlled his gag reflex and tasted it, he his wife and two kids stayed all day and finishes off the 8 quart pot I had cooked. They beg me to make it all the time now, but the main ingredient, fresh caught scale fish, is difficult to come by in this drought.
That is the best way to cook, doing it your way. You have me intrigued by your Fish Soup.

Lisa :)

Back
Top Bottom