Texas

I love the blues too.  The hens are behaving themselves now.  I think the main one is molting, and the other 3 I have are POL.  So, hopefully soon.  I have a group of chocolates that should hatch around 04/30/2016.  Also, we have had a group of chocolate eggs lately as well.

Have calendar marked for April 30th hatch. What is POL? Have seen it a few times.

Lol. Just did a load of redhill laundry today. Yes, it is all orangey. Socks, clothes, house, car, everything. It is sort of like a West Texas sand storm. Gotta fight it back.

lol.png
Yep, that's familiar!

What kind of humidity pump do you use? I've been thinking about getting one but right now my problem is too high of humidty and I have NO water in the incubator. These are Muscovy eggs. All seven were fertile. Pulled 2 quitters yesterday
sad.png
I use the Brinsea Humidity pump as my current incubator is a Brinsea. It is a pain in the posterior to install into the until, but it is a lot easier than constantly opening the unit to add water. The only thing that needs opening now, is the humidity pump to insure there is water. It has been giving a constant read out of 44 percent.

The reason I went to a humidity pump is that I wanted precision. Not enough humidity they dry up in their shells. To much and you can drown them. Though, ironically, they need a higher percentage of humidity the closer to the hatch date. But, again, that is also a balancing act.

I think the most interesting thing aside from hatching is imprinting. Back when we were just experimenting with hatching we put in two eggs. One made it, the other didn't.

The lone chick thought it was a mini-human and I was it's mama. Then we rang a larger hatch of chicks. They went into the grow out box and assumed the larger more mature chick was their mama. It freaked out because it had never seen another chicken before.

So, this last hatch I did more Chocolates, a Maran, and a Blue Americana. The Blue has already found a new home. But, the other chick has accepted his/her role as keeper of the other chicks. He/she taught them how to eat and drink.

Last edited:
Have calendar marked for April 30th hatch. What is POL? Have seen it a few times.

Point of Lay. It means they aren't chicks, they look like hens, and we are getting closer to the point where we are hoping to eggs soon. But, a rule of thumb with chickens is not to count your eggs until they happen. My laying Blue hen was slow. My Marans on the other hand always out pace the rest of the my hens for maturing faster.

For the folks in Texas, that are within driving distance to Livingston, Texas I will always provide extras of whatever I have:
1. Because I like Texans
2. Because you saved me shipping

For instance, if you come for hatching eggs, I will provide extras. Or if you want a group of hatched chicks, I will provide extras. For repeat visitors I will increase the number as much as I can per visit.

thumbsup.gif
do you have a website for your farm?

hit.gif
Very sad day here... something got my broody Muscovy and her eggs last night. Do damage to her, just dead with head tucked in as if she were sleeping. 9 eggs were gone and 1 cracked in what looked like might have been a scuffle. No tracks found. Could this have been a big rat snake??
hit.gif

hit.gif
Very sad day here... something got my broody Muscovy and her eggs last night. Do damage to her, just dead with head tucked in as if she were sleeping. 9 eggs were gone and 1 cracked in what looked like might have been a scuffle. No tracks found. Could this have been a big rat snake??
hit.gif
I'm very sorry about your broody mama. So sad.

Back
Top Bottom