Texas

No, coyotes are noisy at night and they travel in packs. Their sign is bigger too. They usually retire back to their dens around dawn. I used to listen to them in NM when they would come up on the porch and try to eat my pigeons unsuccessfully. At just before dawn, I took at .22lr and tracked them back to their den. But, by them they were deep in. At the deer lease I will hear them just before day break as well.

Coyotes are not always noisy. They have never made any noise when they have attacked our flock, and we've actually caught them in the act of killing chickens several times - downwind of our dogs so the dogs did not smell them and completely silent except for a few chicken squawks that did not even sound like anything out of the ordinary. So we got donkeys. Was good for about 6 months, then the coyotes learned how to watch the donkeys and sneak in and out of the property on the side opposite of wherever the donkeys happen to be at. Completely silent. Then they dug under pens and snagged a cockerel that was roosting on the ground instead of on the roost bar. We are now in the process of replacing our entire property line barbed wire with field fencing. I'm gonna make them suckers learn to jump fence hurdles or have to dig under the fence in open space without cover if they want a buffet.

Coyotes are some of the toughest.
BEARS?!!! Had not thought of Texas having bears.
@Ren2014
I cheat Ren2014. I use a game camera. I usually have a pic or two when something gets in hen house. It does give me the advantage for the comeback. And they always come back.

Last edited:
That, I think, is the most important information to have. A predator, once they have found a food source, will come back again and again until it is permanently convinced to not do so. And permanently means dead. I know some folks trap and release but that only moves that one animal who will, if possible, return and/or has companion animals that have been left behind. Coyotes are pack animals and they will "teach" their pack mates where and how to get food. Others, like skunks, raccoon, etc. are never the only ones in the area, just look at the road kill...for each dead one there are 10 more out there. Bears, while still pretty rare in our part of the state, seem to be making a comeback for some reason, perhaps the weather changes. The Mexican Black Bear used to range here, pretty much disappeared and now is seen more and more.

Just make sure you have a sturdy and secure coop/run/pen for them and they should be fine. We have coyotes, bobcats, mountain lion (big cat they call it), and last season we had a Mexican Black Bear (they are actually a dark brown). Our birds survived it/them all as well as all the little critters that would like to snack on them. We have metal barns and coops that sit on concrete slabs. Chain link fencing 7 feet high, covered runs, buried wire all the way around. In addition we have electric wire, flashing red lights, bright security lights. So far the coyotes have stayed in the shadows, the bobcat came close one night but got the scare of his life when he came face to face with our Anatolian LGD. The mountain lion has only been sighted within a mile of us and the bear was hit on US84 and went to meet his maker.

Having 7 dogs that protect us and the animals doesn't hurt either.

In other words. Just make sure they have safe and secure shelter and they will be fine.

We're working our tails off trying to get everything secure! I wish we still had our Anatolian cross but he broke free and got hit by a car when he was about 9 months. Even as a pup, he was huge and very protective of us.

That, I think, is the most important information to have. A predator, once they have found a food source, will come back again and again until it is permanently convinced to not do so. And permanently means dead. I know some folks trap and release but that only moves that one animal who will, if possible, return and/or has companion animals that have been left behind. Coyotes are pack animals and they will "teach" their pack mates where and how to get food. Others, like skunks, raccoon, etc. are never the only ones in the area, just look at the road kill...for each dead one there are 10 more out there. Bears, while still pretty rare in our part of the state, seem to be making a comeback for some reason, perhaps the weather changes. The Mexican Black Bear used to range here, pretty much disappeared and now is seen more and more.
True enough - predators learn quick. The lack of bears and big cats are part of the reason that coyotes are so bad. Our ancestors killed off the larger predators, so the coyotes did not have anyone to compete with them for food or to even use them as prey. Coyotes are so much more adaptable than the bears or big cats, so they can survive in heavily people-populated areas. They have become like rats and are unafraid of people. Kills me every time there is a news story of coyotes coming into the Dallas suburbs and the *authorities* tell the people that coyotes are more afraid of them than the people are of coyotes. What a crock. If the coyotes were afraid of people, they wouldn't be using small dogs and cats in people's backyards for food.

We're working our tails off trying to get everything secure! I wish we still had our Anatolian cross but he broke free and got hit by a car when he was about 9 months. Even as a pup, he was huge and very protective of us.
My Duke, my avatar picture, is 118 pounds of very sweet and loving fellow. Until he senses that something is amiss. Then he sends out a growl that shakes the pecans off the trees...just as a first warning. After that is the bark of ages and that is followed by a charge with full coat bristled which makes him look even bigger then he is. With him and Mikey (greyhound/lab mix) two Boxer Pitt Bull mixes, a German Short haired Pointer, a Shelty that thinks she needs to heard the world and an alarm system in the shape of a 12 year old Pomeranian plus all the human effort. I feel our birds are pretty secure.

True enough - predators learn quick. The lack of bears and big cats are part of the reason that coyotes are so bad. Our ancestors killed off the larger predators, so the coyotes did not have anyone to compete with them for food or to even use them as prey. Coyotes are so much more adaptable than the bears or big cats, so they can survive in heavily people-populated areas. They have become like rats and are unafraid of people. Kills me every time there is a news story of coyotes coming into the Dallas suburbs and the *authorities* tell the people that coyotes are more afraid of them than the people are of coyotes. What a crock. If the coyotes were afraid of people, they wouldn't be using small dogs and cats in people's backyards for food.
When I lived in Los Angeles there were coyotes, deer, and all sorts of critters including at least one cougar that were "land locked" in Griffith Park (right in the middle of the city). The media used to say that "they were more afraid of people" and I always thought if that is the case then why didn't they move when the people came. Why stick around as the city grew so large. Then it dawned on me. They have a free meal anytime they want. Everything from the cans of garbage to small animals and potentially children.

Last edited:
My Duke, my avatar picture, is 118 pounds of very sweet and loving fellow. Until he senses that something is amiss. Then he sends out a growl that shakes the pecans off the trees...just as a first warning. After that is the bark of ages and that is followed by a charge with full coat bristled which makes him look even bigger then he is. With him and Mikey (greyhound/lab mix) two Boxer Pitt Bull mixes, a German Short haired Pointer, a Shelty that thinks she needs to heard the world and an alarm system in the shape of a 12 year old Pomeranian plus all the human effort. I feel our birds are pretty secure.

This is our Bentley when he was about 8 months. I'm sure he would have been a huge boy but had the best personality and sweetness with my four kiddos :) if I ever have the chance to own another in the breed, I will for sure!

When I lived in Los Angeles there were coyotes, deer, and all sorts of critters including at least one cougar that were "land locked" in Griffith Park (right in the middle of the city). The media used to say that "they were more afraid of people" and I always thought if that is the case then why didn't they move when the people came. Why stick around as the city grew so large. Then it dawned on me. They have a free meal anytime they want. Everything from the cans of garbage to small animals and potentially children.

LOL - makes you wonder where the reporters get their info.

Back
Top Bottom