Texas

Hello out there.......

Pup Flirting GIF by GIPHY Staff Picks

Hello out there.......
Hi! Just updated my thread. Our 9wk old Roo woke up my wife at 5:30AM yesterday. 😬 Apparently he likes to crow in groups of 8, at a time.

I slept through it. 😎

For all of our sake, especially his, let's hope he sleeps in tomorrow morning. We started the collar, but we're going slow and loose for now, and it's not reducing his output yet.

Hi! Just updated my thread. Our 9wk old Roo woke up my wife at 5:30AM yesterday. 😬 Apparently he likes to crow in groups of 8, at a time.

I slept through it. 😎

For all of our sake, especially his, let's hope he sleeps in tomorrow morning. We started the collar, but we're going slow and loose for now, and it's not reducing his output yet.
And it probably won’t. He is announcing his territory. The one in my yard has lived the longest of all mine.
Roosters crow. It’s what they do.

I slept through it. 😎

Personally I would not use one of those collars. They work by choking off the crow. When the rooster crows, he stretches his neck upwards. The collar slides and can get stuck in a larger area, when he relaxes his neck after crowing it can cut off his oxygen supply.
I am not judging. I am fortunate to live where I can keep my roosters. I understand that it is hard to give up one you've raised from day one.

The collar slides and can get stuck in a larger area, when he relaxes his neck after crowing it can cut off his oxygen supply.
Based on the guides that I have read, the scenario you described isn't proper fitment. The recommended placement is nearest to the shoulders at the largest part of the neck, the exact opposite way that you would fit one on a cat or dog (smallest part of the neck) or human (necktie).On cats and dogs, it's done that way so they can't slip their collar off and lose their identification tags, but a chicken has feathers to help keep said collar in a low position at a wider part of the neck. The only place it could "slip" is to an even smaller part of the neck which would make it even looser in terms of restriction. That possibility seems somewhat unlikely, due to the neck feathers.

I am not judging. I am fortunate to live where I can keep my roosters. I understand that it is hard to give up one you've raised from day one.
I appreciate the thoughtful discussion. We're going into this with eyes wide open that a distinct possibility is that this simply does not work. There is zero chance that we will keep tightening until the crowing is at some undefined palatable volume.

Our two oldest chickens which includes our beloved roo were hatched in my kiddo's classroom, so we for sure do not want strangulation on our conscience.

Preliminary results are that after under 5 min of pecking at it, he forgets that it's even there and just goes back to being a chicken.

Based on the guides that I have read, the scenario you described isn't proper fitment. The recommended placement is nearest to the shoulders at the largest part of the neck, the exact opposite way that you would fit one on a cat or dog (smallest part of the neck) or human (necktie).On cats and dogs, it's done that way so they can't slip their collar off and lose their identification tags, but a chicken has feathers to help keep said collar in a low position at a wider part of the neck. The only place it could "slip" is to an even smaller part of the neck which would make it even looser in terms of restriction. That possibility seems somewhat unlikely, due to the neck feathers.

I appreciate the thoughtful discussion. We're going into this with eyes wide open that a distinct possibility is that this simply does not work. There is zero chance that we will keep tightening until the crowing is at some undefined palatable volume.

Our two oldest chickens which includes our beloved roo were hatched in my kiddo's classroom, so we for sure do not want strangulation on our conscience.

Preliminary results are that after under 5 min of pecking at it, he forgets that it's even there and just goes back to being a chicken.
I hope it works out for you, and for the rooster. I hate that roosters are undervalued just by virtue of their gender. I hope if it doesn't work out, that you can find him a good home.

Back
Top Bottom