Théo and the chickens des Sauches

😢😢😭 This is very sad to hear. I am sorry Manue.

Light hasn't been doing great, but not horrible. We are pretty sure she was internally laying. She is on antibiotics now. She would scratch but does not have a good appetite. We have a vet appointment this coming Wednesday. We may ask the vet to do a hormone implant.
Let us know how the appointment goes. If the vet can do some imagery at least he can confirm or not if it's internal laying.
Nougat is better today 🥰. Just like for Blanche, my partner made her vomit yesterday. I was very worried to try because of how she had aspirated and nearly passed but it turned out to be the right thing to do. Her comb is back to almost normal and her attitude is not that of a dying chicken anymore. So she wasn't dying from acute peritonitis but from choking up whatever was in her crop. But still she has very probably laid internally, and she looks not good.

I don't have antibiotics at home and I think I wouldn't give them without a vet prescription anyway if I did, but it's probably what could help her now, if I'm right that some of the shell less egg she laid is still inside.
IMG_20240624_150701.jpg
IMG_20240624_151627.jpg
IMG_20240624_102150.jpg

Glad Nougat is doing okay again. How is your own health now Manue?

PFAS are wide spread for sure. But finding so much in wild boars is another downer.
Btw, it is in a lot more products as they mention in the article. E.g. fire extinguishers and waterproof building foils contribute too.
If PFAS is burned in a garbage oven it spreads through the air over large distances.

In my country they tested eggs of hobby farmers and factory egg farms. And the advice now is to eat very little hobby eggs because they often contain too much PFAS. The eggs from cheap factory farming are within the limits because these chickens never cone outside the egg factory .

I do hope the EU gov. (and hopefully elsewhere too) is going to forbid the fabrication and use of new PFAS asap.

So we went to the vet yesterday afternoon. Light indeed has an egg inside her, and she has EYP. Below is the x-ray image. You can see the large egg ☹️.
1.2.840.1136982024062602350724889.538.jpg

Since my husband watches her very closely, he is pretty certain this soft shell egg was "laid" on Sunday June 2nd, when she made a BIG show of laying eggs but nothing produced.

Before that, she didn't really have much of a history of laying bad eggs. Poor thing.

The vet then wanted to withdraw fluid with the guide of ultrasound. However, with the ultrasound, he concluded that there is really not much fluid to draw so the good news is that she does not have ascites.

He suggested surgery to remove all her gunk along with cutting part of the oviduct (kinda like hysterectomy). For now the vet prescribed antibiotics and Metacam. He also gave Light Hormone implant. We are hoping that the non-surgical conservative approach will be good enough so that her body can wall off the bad egg on her own.

Manue, the vet did say to closely monitor her weight! Speaking of which, she weighed 1.8kg a year ago (she did have a crop problem then) and she is now 2.8kg!

The vet visit was $730. Not cheap. Below is the majority of the cost:

X-ray: $196
Ultrasound: $119
Hormone implant: $282

Finally three more pictures:

Light yesterday after vet visit, anxiously waiting for her beef.
20240626_170324.jpg

I found Honey a good roost! It is a heavy tree cutting with two branches so she can rest her full crop in the front branch🤣
20240625_190656.jpg

My Lotus flowers. They only last 2 or 3 days.
20240619_081330.jpg

So we went to the vet yesterday afternoon. Light indeed has an egg inside her, and she has EYP. Below is the x-ray image. You can see the large egg ☹️.
View attachment 3874444

Since my husband watches her very closely, he is pretty certain this soft shell egg was "laid" on Sunday June 2nd, when she made a BIG show of laying eggs but nothing produced.

Before that, she didn't really have much of a history of laying bad eggs. Poor thing.

The vet then wanted to withdraw fluid with the guide of ultrasound. However, with the ultrasound, he concluded that there is really not much fluid to draw so the good news is that she does not have ascites.

He suggested surgery to remove all her gunk along with cutting part of the oviduct (kinda like hysterectomy). For now the vet prescribed antibiotics and Metacam. He also gave Light Hormone implant. We are hoping that the non-surgical conservative approach will be good enough so that her body can wall off the bad egg on her own.

Manue, the vet did say to closely monitor her weight! Speaking of which, she weighed 1.8kg a year ago (she did have a crop problem then) and she is now 2.8kg!

The vet visit was $730. Not cheap. Below is the majority of the cost:

X-ray: $196
Ultrasound: $119
Hormone implant: $282

Finally three more pictures:

Light yesterday after vet visit, anxiously waiting for her beef.
View attachment 3874454

I found Honey a good roost! It is a heavy tree cutting with two branches so she can rest her full crop in the front branch🤣View attachment 3874455

My Lotus flowers. They only last 2 or 3 days.
View attachment 3874456
Thank you for the cost breakdown. Did they say how much the surgery would be?

ETA I was in such shock at the cost I completely neglected to say how awful this has to be for you and her.

Back
Top Bottom