The 8th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!!!!

Ha, he's from a small breed too ;) The smallest domestic breed, in fact. He hatched on his own aside from a safety hole, which I always put in because I've had too many block off their air when zipping and die.
If he is a small breed I'm glad I only have 2 in the incubator! Do you think I should consider doing a safety hole in mine, just incase? :/
It often happens that I get so busy answering questions an posts that I forget to post my Stuff! I hatched 15 Pita Pintas(14 in the picture) And 14 Delawares(not all in the picture) 29 hatched out of 39 set. 36 were fertile and made it to lockdown
Congratulations Ron, beautiful chicks :love

Last edited:
That's the longest I can do it since that's about how long I'm in the house after doing chores before I have to leave for school. I'm only awake and in the house for less then 2 hours most days. And about 20 minutes of that is showering and brushing hair and 30 minutes is supper
1f602.png
. The other hour is usually cleaning stuff and homework.
Misting the eggs will help then. A spritz them a bit when you take the top off of the incubator. Misting is similar to the cool down cycle in what it does for the eggs.

My goose hatched last night!

So that's all of them and the total hatched for me is 18.
Awwwwwww, super adorable!

It often happens that I get so busy answering questions an posts that I forget to post my Stuff!

I hatched 15 Pita Pintas(14 in the picture)

And 14 Delawares(not all in the picture)

29 hatched out of 39 set. 36 were fertile and made it to lockdown
Where did you get the Pita Pinta's from?

Awwwwwww, super adorable!

Where did you get the Pita Pinta's from?
I hatched them for Megan and then Megan gave me, petrock and caychris eggs. I lost my rooster but have 5 hens still. Megan gave up her flock and moved to Southern CA(I think). These eggs are from Chris. Debbi(petrock) is the other person breeding them now.

They are on the edge of not making it here in the USA.

If I get rich enough, I would go get more from Spain. They are nearly perfect as a breed.

Last edited:
So many cute peepers! I have 4/13 remaining hatched. Lost 5 to a broody who got kicked off the nest at my sister's house. Fortunately, she was ok once my sister put her in a brooding box at the bottom of the coop. She now has some adopted babies from IFA, so my sister has the best brooder ever (which was the point in the first place).

Here's the 3 that I retrieved this morning-two silkies and a Polish. I need to re-calibrate my thermometer as mine were 24+ hours late.

By the way, anyone else wish their driver's ed car was THIS good?

So many cute peepers! I have 4/13 remaining hatched. Lost 5 to a broody who got kicked off the nest at my sister's house. Fortunately, she was ok once my sister put her in a brooding box at the bottom of the coop. She now has some adopted babies from IFA, so my sister has the best brooder ever (which was the point in the first place).

Here's the 3 that I retrieved this morning-two silkies and a Polish. I need to re-calibrate my thermometer as mine were 24+ hours late.

By the way, anyone else wish their driver's ed car was THIS good?
I saw one here that was a VW Golf GTI. It is a bit of a performance car too.

If he is a small breed I'm glad I only have 2 in the incubator!
Do you think I should consider doing a safety hole in mine, just incase? :/

I always do, just in case. I've lost too many that way. I just wait until they're internally pipped and then put a small hole in the very top of the air cell. Never hurts anything and has probably saved a few lives here.

My hatching was pretty disappointing. I only had 1 duck (of 14) & 5 chicks (of 27)! Not sure what happened, but they were all alive at lockdown on Wednesday and dead by hatch day!

Back
Top Bottom