The adventures of L & D & the bad hatch

pandorican

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2015
This ones gonna be a bit long, sorry. I’m posting to share my experience so far in case anyone else has these issues, and to see what wisdom y’all might have to add to it all.
So, I hatched my first full brood in the incubator Monday (I had done a few successful hatches but only got 2/1 respectively, because they were eggs mom abandoned that I got to too late. This time, I pulled a nest worth because mom had just hatched a brood a month before & 2 months before that & I wanted her to take a break. (She didn’t listen, just hid the next nest and is currently 2 weeks into sitting on 12 more, sigh.)

So 14 in, 12 still kicking on day 28. Moving and pipping along. However… One egg (L was his egg letter so that’s what we call him) that had been very active had stopped moving, and I just had a bad feeling. I did an emergency air hole first, waited, nothing, bad feeling got worse. Eventually I broke down and widened the air hole so I could peek in the air sac, hoping to see beak. No beak. I could see breathing under the inner membrane but it was very labored, and slowing. I inspected the egg and found a dark brown spot on the bottom of the small side, and I recognized that spot from other hatches where one had attempted to pip but lost interest/strength & couldn’t.
So I painstakingly went into that spot- first with a screw to make an air hole then tweezed away enough outer shell to make sure I had the beak. Yup. I let him be, checking periodically to see if he was absorbing & make sure he could still breathe.
But I think all that weakened him, because most of the others had hatched-except for one- and he hadn’t made any progress either. Paranoid now, I made a spy hole in the last slacker, D, to make sure he wasn’t also mal positioned. (He was fine)
After another 24 hours D started struggling and I realized he was shrink wrapped so I started slowly helping him, and checked to find L was too. It was a slow process because they were both stuck to the membrane and unable to move around in there but also not completely done absorbing. So I’d free as much as I could without causing bleeds, try to moisten membranes- wait-and-repeat thing. Hours later-I lost track, but it was a looooong three days at this point- both were finally out.
Upon cleaning the remaining goo off them and drying I realized they were both kinda stuck in their egg positions. D’s neck tilted to the right, L’s to the left
L also had one leg that splayed, and a clubbing of the opposite foot. Both were lethargic. I separated them and waited, unsure if they’d make it. They did, D got active first, and aside from the slightly cricked neck, seemed fine.
L was another story. He couldn’t really walk due to the leg and even with his feet under him he fell over a bunch because of the neck issue.
2CB84DCF-DF55-454A-AB27-CA41111FC4BE.jpeg

I gave him some vitamin soaked wet food, and he enthusiastically ate it, and was obviously TRYING to make it-So, I did a bunch of searching, found a few posts about similar egg-bound related problems, and most everything seemed to indicate I could help him, if I intervened while he was still little and moldable.
I made tape hobbles for the leg, and then fashioned a neck brace with foam and hard tape. Then had to add a paper towel holder, because even with the collar, it still went to the left. The bend is further down.
32D6CA58-E54D-45B8-A616-B3B220BEE537.jpeg

He’s the worlds most mild mannered sweet little dude. He just relaxes while I subject him to all manner of indignities, and once all trussed up in this getup he just kinda rolls himself around.
D I left alone hoping it would self correct.
(It did not. It’s actually gotten worse.)
L’s hobbles and everything came off so I could assess and let him have some exercise. It took a few tries but he got his feet under him and was running around with the pack like a champ, swimming and everything.
The toes on the clubbed foot are definitely curling under when he walks, and the neck is still not fully corrected, but the leg splay seems fixed.
So I removed the hobbles but replaced the neck brace and have taped the foot to a guitar pick- (which BTW is the perfect size for an itty duck foot, and won’t fall apart like cardboard when wet.)

I tried to brace D as well but, he’s having none of it and keeps wiggling out-picking parts off- and is also being bullied by the others. He’s too mobile to be in the infirmary area with L who is mostly immobile while braced- he keeps kicking the little log duckie around and stepping on his head, so finally I gave up for now.

I’m encouraged by the progress he’s made. He was so happy running with the rest tonight, he’s significantly smaller, but kept up with everyone just fine.
28326F6E-B80F-4922-BD48-370164ECEE98.jpeg

You can see the size difference here.
These ducks are bound for a farm when they are off the brooder, so I’m trying to fix what I can to avoid anyone getting culled. Not sure what I’m doing about D at this point, I may have to wait until L is done with the infirmary space and hope it’s not too late.
L on the other hand, kind of feels like he’s meant to be a therapy duck for someone. He’s a sweet little fighter.

What a great job you have done. you must be very proud. 2 live chicks that someone else may have given up on. The only thing I would add to what you did would be to use coconut oil on the membrane once I opened the shell. That may have prevented the shrink wrap (membrane drying)

This ones gonna be a bit long, sorry. I’m posting to share my experience so far in case anyone else has these issues, and to see what wisdom y’all might have to add to it all.
So, I hatched my first full brood in the incubator Monday (I had done a few successful hatches but only got 2/1 respectively, because they were eggs mom abandoned that I got to too late. This time, I pulled a nest worth because mom had just hatched a brood a month before & 2 months before that & I wanted her to take a break. (She didn’t listen, just hid the next nest and is currently 2 weeks into sitting on 12 more, sigh.)

So 14 in, 12 still kicking on day 28. Moving and pipping along. However… One egg (L was his egg letter so that’s what we call him) that had been very active had stopped moving, and I just had a bad feeling. I did an emergency air hole first, waited, nothing, bad feeling got worse. Eventually I broke down and widened the air hole so I could peek in the air sac, hoping to see beak. No beak. I could see breathing under the inner membrane but it was very labored, and slowing. I inspected the egg and found a dark brown spot on the bottom of the small side, and I recognized that spot from other hatches where one had attempted to pip but lost interest/strength & couldn’t.
So I painstakingly went into that spot- first with a screw to make an air hole then tweezed away enough outer shell to make sure I had the beak. Yup. I let him be, checking periodically to see if he was absorbing & make sure he could still breathe.
But I think all that weakened him, because most of the others had hatched-except for one- and he hadn’t made any progress either. Paranoid now, I made a spy hole in the last slacker, D, to make sure he wasn’t also mal positioned. (He was fine)
After another 24 hours D started struggling and I realized he was shrink wrapped so I started slowly helping him, and checked to find L was too. It was a slow process because they were both stuck to the membrane and unable to move around in there but also not completely done absorbing. So I’d free as much as I could without causing bleeds, try to moisten membranes- wait-and-repeat thing. Hours later-I lost track, but it was a looooong three days at this point- both were finally out.
Upon cleaning the remaining goo off them and drying I realized they were both kinda stuck in their egg positions. D’s neck tilted to the right, L’s to the left
L also had one leg that splayed, and a clubbing of the opposite foot. Both were lethargic. I separated them and waited, unsure if they’d make it. They did, D got active first, and aside from the slightly cricked neck, seemed fine.
L was another story. He couldn’t really walk due to the leg and even with his feet under him he fell over a bunch because of the neck issue. View attachment 3128128
I gave him some vitamin soaked wet food, and he enthusiastically ate it, and was obviously TRYING to make it-So, I did a bunch of searching, found a few posts about similar egg-bound related problems, and most everything seemed to indicate I could help him, if I intervened while he was still little and moldable.
I made tape hobbles for the leg, and then fashioned a neck brace with foam and hard tape. Then had to add a paper towel holder, because even with the collar, it still went to the left. The bend is further down.
View attachment 3128130
He’s the worlds most mild mannered sweet little dude. He just relaxes while I subject him to all manner of indignities, and once all trussed up in this getup he just kinda rolls himself around.
D I left alone hoping it would self correct.
(It did not. It’s actually gotten worse.)
L’s hobbles and everything came off so I could assess and let him have some exercise. It took a few tries but he got his feet under him and was running around with the pack like a champ, swimming and everything.
The toes on the clubbed foot are definitely curling under when he walks, and the neck is still not fully corrected, but the leg splay seems fixed.
So I removed the hobbles but replaced the neck brace and have taped the foot to a guitar pick- (which BTW is the perfect size for an itty duck foot, and won’t fall apart like cardboard when wet.)

I tried to brace D as well but, he’s having none of it and keeps wiggling out-picking parts off- and is also being bullied by the others. He’s too mobile to be in the infirmary area with L who is mostly immobile while braced- he keeps kicking the little log duckie around and stepping on his head, so finally I gave up for now.

I’m encouraged by the progress he’s made. He was so happy running with the rest tonight, he’s significantly smaller, but kept up with everyone just fine. View attachment 3128132
You can see the size difference here.
These ducks are bound for a farm when they are off the brooder, so I’m trying to fix what I can to avoid anyone getting culled. Not sure what I’m doing about D at this point, I may have to wait until L is done with the infirmary space and hope it’s not too late.
L on the other hand, kind of feels like he’s meant to be a therapy duck for someone. He’s a sweet little fighter.
One thing I forgot to ask- has anyone ever done any kind of traction with fowl? I feel like that would be the fastest most effective way to fix these kinds of neck issues. It’s not wry neck, they’re not floppy or particularly weak, just bent, both are stuck the same way they were stuck in the egg, and both curves are at that part of the neck that’s at the top of the egg before they free their heads. (Which is why the collar alone doesn’t work, it needs some kind of firm splinting on the opposite side of the one they turn to- that goes at least a few cm past the wing.
45A4FC26-4D29-4964-87DD-ED65FFB5237D.jpeg

But if there were some safe way to hold him basically like this-that wouldn’t end up choking him or breaking his neck-I suspect it would fix the issue quicker. Even just doing this for short periods makes an obvious difference-it’s almost like the muscle just needs to be stretched back out because the one on the side he turns to is too bunched to be shorter or something.

While what you say makes total sense, I don't know enough to advise. And I would be afraid I would do more harm than help. Even though on a person, in a hospital setting, he would probably be in a halo device. Good luck, I pray someone comes along who can help you with this, someone with vet experience as this is a delicate procedure. :hugs

What a great job you have done. you must be very proud. 2 live chicks that someone else may have given up on. The only thing I would add to what you did would be to use coconut oil on the membrane once I opened the shell. That may have prevented the shrink wrap (membrane drying)
Thank you!
A few people-including my mother and husband have said “maybe he’s not meant to live”. With this kind of thing, I tend to trust my instinct. It’s going to sound weird but I sometimes have a “feeling” with sick or disabled animals, about whether they want to live or are done-if that makes sense. There have been times where I just knew it was time to let go, and others where I just knew it wasn’t. So far, it hasn’t steered me wrong or left me with any animals who were hopelessly disabled or in miserable pain.

Coconut oil-I did do this this later in the process, but not right away, mostly because the hole wasn’t really big enough at first

While what you say makes total sense, I don't know enough to advise. And I would be afraid I would do more harm than help. Even though on a person, in a hospital setting, he would probably be in a halo device. Good luck, I pray someone comes along who can help you with this, someone with vet experience as this is a delicate procedure. :hugs
Yeah. I’m hoping maybe folks here will have considerations I haven’t yet had about the topic, if I do decide to try it I want to make sure I’ve considered as many possible complications and issues as the collective here can think of.

Maybe a physical therapist could help. I just wish there was a way you could tell if it is muscular/tendons or if the bones have hardened in the posture.

Maybe a physical therapist could help. I just wish there was a way you could tell if it is muscular/tendons or if the bones have hardened in the posture.
It’s funny you said that, I was thinking about bringing him with me to my next physiatrist appointment, and seeing if she has any thoughts. (Shes great, she would love the ducky visit.)

My guess is muscles and such only because there’s always improvement after the collaring, but the longer I leave it off, it seems to want to revert. I’m not entirely sure though.

Back
Top Bottom