The Buckeye Thread

I hope this is okay to post here. I am completely new to this site, to chickens, to everything. I plan to get my first batch of chicks this coming Spring as we just moved onto a 1.75 acre lot with a neighbor's field adjacent that is 2 acres that we have been given permission to use. I am trying to decide what breed to start with. We are in southwest Ohio, and I thought Rhode Island Reds fit our needs well...but then I read about Buckeyes. I got excited and am thinking this may be the breed for us.

Our needs are as follows: high egg production (we eat 6-10 eggs a day and I would like to store eggs for winter when production is down), docile and friendly nature as I will have my 3 yr old and 1 yr old sons very involved in raising the chickens, double as a good meat bird, cold hardy including handling below freezing temps for extended periods of time, heat tolerant as it can get hot and humid here in the summer with temps reaching 90's consistently, very good foragers as we hope to use as little feed as possible and grow organically what we need

I am not sure I am up to having a rooster my first year with the boys, but I am very interested in hatching my own chicks after I get some experience under my belt so I wiuld like to have a breed that occasionally goes broody and is a good mother.

What do you all think?

I hope this is okay to post here. I am completely new to this site, to chickens, to everything. I plan to get my first batch of chicks this coming Spring as we just moved onto a 1.75 acre lot with a neighbor's field adjacent that is 2 acres that we have been given permission to use. I am trying to decide what breed to start with. We are in southwest Ohio, and I thought Rhode Island Reds fit our needs well...but then I read about Buckeyes. I got excited and am thinking this may be the breed for us.

Our needs are as follows: high egg production (we eat 6-10 eggs a day and I would like to store eggs for winter when production is down), docile and friendly nature as I will have my 3 yr old and 1 yr old sons very involved in raising the chickens, double as a good meat bird, cold hardy including handling below freezing temps for extended periods of time, heat tolerant as it can get hot and humid here in the summer with temps reaching 90's consistently, very good foragers as we hope to use as little feed as possible and grow organically what we need

I am not sure I am up to having a rooster my first year with the boys, but I am very interested in hatching my own chicks after I get some experience under my belt so I wiuld like to have a breed that occasionally goes broody and is a good mother.

What do you all think?.
In my opinion Buckeye 's are a very good choice. I have 10 Pullets and 2 cockerels I received them this past March and I am getting an average of 5-6 eggs a day, and they are just pullets starting to lay. They are kid friendly and I have a 7 year old Granddaughter who helps me with them. I have hatched out 10 chicks and 61 more to hatch out the 16th. Just make sure that you get a good line of buckeyes and you should be fine. You should be able to find a good breeder in your area.In my opinion buckeye's are the only breed.

Individual birds differ, of course, but my Buckeye rooster is very friendly and has never been aggressive with me or my 5 year old.

In my opinion Buckeye 's are a very good choice. I have 10 Pullets and 2 cockerels I received them this past March and I am getting an average of 5-6 eggs a day, and they are just pullets starting to lay. They are kid friendly and I have a 7 year old Granddaughter who helps me with them. I have hatched out 10 chicks and 61 more to hatch out the 16th. Just make sure that you get a good line of buckeyes and you should be fine. You should be able to find a good breeder in your area.In my opinion buckeye's are the only breed. 

Thanks buckeyechicken! So do you think if I am looking to get 6-10 eggs a day that 12 Buckeyes would be good? Or should I get a breed to supplement egg production like australorp or something? I thought maybe I could supplement with RIRs but then read they are mean to other breeds. I am just so excited about the Buckeyes. It would be so cool to help preserve this breed!

Do you think a flock of 10-12 would deplete the 1-3 acres that I have available for them to free range on? What about a flock of 30? How long does it usually take before they start laying?

Last edited:
Thanks buckeyechicken! So do you think if I am looking to get 6-10 eggs a day that 12 Buckeyes would be good? Or should I get a breed to supplement egg production like australorp or something? I thought maybe I could supplement with RIRs but then read they are mean to other breeds. I am just so excited about the Buckeyes. It would be so cool to help preserve this breed!

Do you think a flock of 10-12 would deplete the 1-3 acres that I have available for them to free range on? What about a flock of 30? How long does it usually take before they start laying?
Mine started laying in September and they were March chicks but again they differ in starting time. I would say a flock of 16-18 hens should give you a steady supply of eggs, and some to sell. I have mine in a yard that is about 800 square feet but I also feed them. They also free range in the yard which is an acre. I am wanting to get up to a hundred hens laying, and some show birds.

The chicks that hatched out this spring for me are just now laying their first small eggs ... they are mixed breeds - but it takes a little to ramp up their bodies. For me, I don't use a light in the winter; I find if I give their bodies a rest they tend to lay into older age and for ME - peeps are cute but a pain .... so an older bird who only lays 3 eggs a weeks is still very valuable. For others that would be the time to use her for meat.

My flock of 16 free ranges each afternoon (when I am home) and as I only let them out late - they tend to stick to just an acre around the coop - that seems just fine to them and in the summer I basically don't have to feed them - there is enough forage for them with a little crumble to start and end the day. So your area should be fine for both sizes you are thinking of.

Individual birds differ, of course, but my Buckeye rooster is very friendly and has never been aggressive with me or my 5 year old.
That is why I said to get a good line of buckeye, they all differ in temperament. If possible look at the flock you are buying from before you make the purchase so you can see what your chickens will look like when they get older. Walk around in the coop to see what kind of temperament they have, but most Buckeyes will be very docile.

It was as I suspected, then, that you were not deliberately trying to be insulting. That is good to hear. I find it unfortunate, then, that everyone who has responded has taken your reply in a negative light. I would even suggest that your follow up to clarify did little to alleviate the negativity and (without you intending to do so, I'm sure) only reinforced it.

I agree with slfarms - Who will I be seeing at the ON Saturday? I can only come for the morning, but if I can find my bright red Buckeye t-shirt, I'll have that on.
I can't help but smile at the thought of a cluster of folks in red shirts roaming the aisles together at the ON ; that should garner some attention. My inner geek can't help but wonder if you'll have your phasers set to "stun"?
big_smile.png

But really, good luck to all the exhibitors, and I hope everyone has a wonderful time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The chicks that hatched out this spring for me are just now laying their first small eggs ... they are mixed breeds - but it takes a little to ramp up their bodies.    For me, I don't use a light in the winter; I find if I give their bodies a rest they tend to lay into older age and for ME - peeps are cute but a pain .... so an older bird who only lays 3 eggs a weeks is still very valuable.    For others that would be the time to use her for meat.    

My flock of 16 free ranges each afternoon (when I am home) and as I only let them out late - they tend to stick to just an acre around the coop - that seems just fine to them and in the summer I basically don't have to feed them - there is enough forage for them with a little crumble to start and end the day.   So your area should be fine for both sizes you are thinking of.

Good to know! I want to make sure that the birds aren't overcrowded :)

Does the area they range on have to be grassed? The extra acreage that belongs to the neighbor is a field with just whatever grows. They bush hog it to keep it low but it is harder vegetation.

Back
Top Bottom