The Buckeye Thread

My husbands objections for a rooster are due to crowing. We do have 5 acres and are surrounded by people with some acreage, but I don't want annoy other people. If I could get a bird that doesn't crow very loud, that'd be okay. I think I could convince the hubby that we need a rooster eventually.

We won't be getting chickens for awhile. The earliest is next spring, because it will be a learning curve for me and I have two very young children (almost 5 months and 17 months). Until then, I'm learning all I can (from books and this forum).

I like the idea of buckeyes and helping the breed, but I had no idea it would be so complicated! I do not plan in showing chickens at this time, but my kids may want to when they are older.

I'm enjoying the lively discussions on this thread.

We also have five acres and neighbors close by. I worried about the Roos bothering the neighbors until an 80 year old neighbor stopped by and she begged me not to kill the roosters as hearing them reminded her of when she was a child and helped her grandma with her chickens. :). Talk with your neighbors and forewarn them ahead of time. I'm sure they won't mind unless they are just meanies.

I want you people to know that guy roys new hampshires will probably win every show he enters they are that good!!!
He was a nice bird, but he can be beat! Any given day with any given judge, especially with a milticolored bird. That is what is great about the exhibiting birds. One never really knows
big_smile.png

We also have five acres and neighbors close by. I worried about the Roos bothering the neighbors until an 80 year old neighbor stopped by and she begged me not to kill the roosters as hearing them reminded her of when she was a child and helped her grandma with her chickens. :). Talk with your neighbors and forewarn them ahead of time. I'm sure they won't mind unless they are just meanies.
And bribe them with eggs. :D

Ok, I have a question for true breeders! Legs on Buckeyes-the SOP calls for yellow shanks and toes. How yellow and would you not breed an otherwise nice hen that has more of a pinkish tinge to her legs? She is nicely built hen with good size and great plumage color and has the slate bar.

My husbands objections for a rooster are due to crowing. We do have 5 acres and are surrounded by people with some acreage, but I don't want annoy other people. If I could get a bird that doesn't crow very loud, that'd be okay. I think I could convince the hubby that we need a rooster eventually.

We won't be getting chickens for awhile. The earliest is next spring, because it will be a learning curve for me and I have two very young children (almost 5 months and 17 months). Until then, I'm learning all I can (from books and this forum).

I like the idea of buckeyes and helping the breed, but I had no idea it would be so complicated! I do not plan in showing chickens at this time, but my kids may want to when they are older.

My neighbor thinks they are funny learning to crow, and when they developed the crow he said that he has hardly heard them because he is used to them. Just ask your neighbors if they mind and 5 acres is 4 more than I have. Like I said before I would not buy Hatchery chicks, get at least 1 rooster to 6-8 hens raise your own .And buy from a good breeder, if possible go and look at the stock you are buying from. Again the only reason I would buy hatchery chicks is for meat and eggs, nothing else.

Ok, I have a question for true breeders! Legs on Buckeyes-the SOP calls for yellow shanks and toes. How yellow and would you not breed an otherwise nice hen that has more of a pinkish tinge to her legs? She is nicely built hen with good size and great plumage color and has the slate bar.
Why the sarcasm; "True breeders"? Everyone has the same goals to improve the breed! The pinkish tinge is just a result of health. She is healthy! Good Job; some of it might be due to the horn color but without looking at it, health is my first guess. Have fun and good luck with her.

You want them bright yellow. Put her with a male that has bright yellow legs, as the gene is sex linked and passed through the male. Hatch a lot and keep the babies with the brightest yellow legs. Good luck!

You want them bright yellow. Put her with a male that has bright yellow legs, as the gene is sex linked and passed through the male. Hatch a lot and keep the babies with the brightest yellow legs. Good luck!
I agree that bright yellow is great but the reddish horn that the leg needs will often make the color of the leg a shade darker due to the horn being a darker color. All bright yellow is not entirely correct; the reddish horn needs to be there.

My thoughts on this thread over the last 24 hrs.

This is a manufactured argument about Buckeyes. It is really seems to be about personal interpretations of the SOP. I have been judged by Terry Britt many times and KNOW he knows how to judge correctly.

If anyone wants to exhibit a better bird Please enter them. If not then keep mouths shut and go back and breed a better bird. It smacks of jealousy and pettiness.

I was there and looked the class over.on Sunday morning before many people were there. I thin a good job was done on the Open show birds. I can not comment on the Jr birds as I did not look those over well enough to draw an opinion.

I think the breed is in a better place than it was even 5 years ago on several fronts. More breeders and exhibitors as well as more birds being shown is a good thing. There have always been a few good birds but have not seen as many decent birds show at once before. I don't have the numbers but feel this was a much better representation of the breed than I saw at Crossroads in 2011.

So my congratulations to the breed for growing and getting better.
I feel that this not a manufactured arguement but more a healthy debate of which I feel is vital to breed improvment. Nothing was ever mentioned regarding Mr. Britt's abilities to judge and never has been so there is no need to bring that aspect into this conversation. Jealousy has absolutely nothing to do with any of this! It's all about improving the breed for the future!

Sure the breed is in a better place, but there is more than needs to be done. Do you raise buckeyes? It is a legit question because I'm not that familiar with cochins and one cochin looks just like the others of the same variety, IMO. I'm sure I could not pick out individual details that needs improving with any breed of cochin. Some of that very thing relates to buckeyes. Have a great day!

Kind of in the same boat as you. Raising in spring for the first time, both of my boys are young (right now 2.5 yrs and 8 months). Good to know I am not alone :)

Back
Top Bottom