The Buckeye Thread

. I also see where some of the Buckeyes may be getting a little too puffy from the Cochin, I'm surprised we don't have Buckeyes with feathered feet, but maybe that's what Nettie Metcalf bred out when she was making all the crosses to get the Buckeye. Just a little Cochin influence, but not so much that they are light colored or puffy.
It probably does happen from time to time. I had a cockerel with feather stubs between his toes. They were super tiny, I had overlooked them when we were doing our evaluations and didn't notice until several months later when I had to cut off the zip-tie leg band we had been using for identification. I asked about it here, and there was some debate over whether it could be from some recessive gene inherited through the cochin background or if it was just a fluke that can happen sometimes with any species of poultry.

Last edited:
It probably does happen from time to time.  I had a cockerel with feather stubs between his toes.  They were super tiny, I had overlooked them when we were doing our evaluations and didn't notice until several months later when I had to cut off the zip-tie leg band we had been using for identification.  I asked about it here, and there was some debate over whether it could be from some recessive gene inherited through the cochin background or if it was just a fluke that can happen sometimes with any species of poultry.

I remember that debate quite well :) I still stand behind genetic.

I am getting one in december from chad stoner at knoxville show. As I am sure all of you know Barnies very rare blood lines getting thin
The two at ON were hatchery I am fairly certain

I am getting one in december from chad stoner at knoxville show. As I am sure all of you know Barnies very rare blood lines getting thin
The two at ON were hatchery I am fairly certain
I have Barnies. I am not really impressed with them. I got them from 3 different breeders. I expected much better size on them. My older girls are coming out of molt, and the younger ones are still, well, young and not to POL yet. They are decent for body type, but size is just killing me on the hens especially.

It probably does happen from time to time.  I had a cockerel with feather stubs between his toes.  They were super tiny, I had overlooked them when we were doing our evaluations and didn't notice until several months later when I had to cut off the zip-tie leg band we had been using for identification.  I asked about it here, and there was some debate over whether it could be from some recessive gene inherited through the cochin background or if it was just a fluke that can happen sometimes with any species of poultry.

Stubs are genetic; most American breeds can get them. It's not a fluke.

Stubs are genetic; most American breeds can get them. It's not a fluke.

While I agree its genetic, I think a few little hairs between the toes on a bird is the least of our worries. Just pluck it. But you cannot just pluck a fluffy back, a giant comb, or half a bird that is not evenly colored. Now if we're talking whole feathers, that's another story altogether. But we each have ideas of what is important to our program.

While I agree its genetic, I think a few little hairs between the toes on a bird is the least of our worries. Just pluck it. But you cannot just pluck a fluffy back, a giant comb, or half a bird that is not evenly colored. Now if we're talking whole feathers, that's another story altogether. But we each have ideas of what is important to our program.
well, since stubs are a DQ and the other things are not seems they are a little more important to eradicate than a little extra fluff. Heck one line is continuing to throw single combs after 10 yrs and now wry back. A little extra fluff doesn't seem so bad to me compared to that. I've seen progress made in the back fluff on females in Buckeyes the last several years, it's getting better. I'm more worried about all the folks adding Dark Cornish into their lines to get bigger heads, thicker beaks and heavier meat qualities instead of being patient and doing selective culling.

well, since stubs are a DQ and the other things are not seems they are a little more important to eradicate than a little extra fluff. Heck one line is continuing to throw single combs after 10 yrs and now wry back. A little extra fluff doesn't seem so bad to me compared to that. I've seen progress made in the back fluff on females in Buckeyes the last several years, it's getting better. I'm more worried about all the folks adding Dark Cornish into their lines to get bigger heads, thicker beaks and heavier meat qualities instead of being patient and doing selective culling.

Stubs are a dq and everyone was advised to cull and select a new breeding roo.

I've heard of no breeder that has been breeding for 10 years that has single combs showing up all the time? Remember single comb is a recessive gene ANY breeder can have a single comb pop up in a hatch if that gene is nicked.

As for adding dark Cornish to make the heads bigger, more meat etc that was in reference to the persons wanting a meat bird for their farm separate from the buckeye. Lol. No one I know of is doing this with show stock. :).

All the other items mentioned we all discussed the last few days and they do need worked on across the breed as JoshU stated.

:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom