The Buckeye Thread

With negative temps at night almost every night since a couple days after Thanksgiving, and single digits most days, the only pens I am getting eggs from are the Minorcas and Buckeyes. Granted, it is only 1 or 2 a day, but it is better than nothing at all. We are looking at a high of 20 today that will feel like a heat wave with the sun peeking out too. My birds in the outdoor flock are even out scratching and moving around today. I say outdoor, but they have 2 coops they can go into as well.

How many breeding coops is everyone setting up this year? Are you using pair breeding or trio?

I'm using pair breeding so that I can watch how each hatch from three different hens cross with my male.

Good apdeb! I'm sure you've been told in the past to keep your buckeye hens from the Roos at least three weeks so that you're sure you are getting straight buckeyes and not crosses. :)

How many breeding coops is everyone setting up this year? Are you using pair breeding or trio?

I'm using pair breeding so that I can watch how each hatch from three different hens cross with my male.

What is the advantages and disadvantages of pairs vs trios vs clan group breeding setup?

Advantage of pair breeding is that you can watch a specific cross to see what traits they will produce that are usable for the next generation and showing if the cross produces SOP type.

By doing a trio or group breeding you will not not which cross produced the specific traits or show type you are looking for.

No, they do well. And it is only a two-three month time period. My three can see the other chickens as the brood coops are in the barn with them.

I am rotating roosters with all the hens in one pen. If I had more room to split up separate pens for different groupings, I would love to do that, but not with my set-up. I will start who I think is my best roo in the pen first, then rotate them on a cycle.

[COLOR=333333]Does anyone use red cell for their poultry in feed or water, if so what is the benefits of it, what age should you start administering it, and at what dosage?[/COLOR]

I do in the water with ACV. I don't really measure it out- maybe 1/2 to 3/4 cup per 5 gallons for all of the flock especially the chicks. It 's a good multi vitamin and mineral supplement and not just an iron supplement. Very important for developing chicks and juvenials.

Back
Top Bottom