The Buckeye Thread

I agree, the cold temps have been brutal here too! I think I only have one buckeye laying, but just this weekend we went from only 3 hens laying to at least 5. This afternoon we got one light brown egg, one green egg, one white egg, and one dark brown egg. I'm so happy to have eggs again! My husband's bees haven't been so lucky. After the first cold temps (before the arctic vortex even hit) he lost the south hive to the cold because there just weren't enough of them to keep warm. The north hive made it through the first arctic temps, but when he went out to check on them today that hive was dead too
sad.png
Today was ridiculously warm compared to last week's temps and the temperatures we are expecting next week. The chickens actually went out of the coop on their own without having to be coaxed out with goodies today. Good thing, 'cause I think that tomorrow the wind will be too wicked for them to want to come out. I had concerns going into winter that we may not have reduced our flock quite enough with 21 chickens. But everyone looks to be in good condition and no one's missing feathers (well, except for the few who are currently molting!) even with the extended time they've spent in the coop this winter so I guess they've got enough space to keep them happy.

How are you doing? Buckeyes are a GREAT breed; they really are! Check the last web address in my signature line and you will be able to access a breeders list and more than likely has Buckeye breeders in Florida. Take care and good luck
big_smile.png
Thank you!
I'm learning so much about this breed and I am really coming to like this breed a lot. I prefer a friendlier chicken and Buckeyes seem rather inquisitive and intelligent. Along with that, they seem to be great producer's on top of it all. Can't beat that amazing color too.

Thank you!
I'm learning so much about this breed and I am really coming to like this breed a lot. I prefer a friendlier chicken and Buckeyes seem rather inquisitive and intelligent. Along with that, they seem to be great producer's on top of it all. Can't beat that amazing color too.

You are most welcome! Buckeyes are a wonderful breed! They are rather beautiful birds aren't they? That dark garnet red is very impressive :) I've been breeding these birds for a few years now and they have become a real cornerstone in my flock!

Last edited:
I am a huge buckeye fan. The birds will be on my farm until the day I die. They are the perfect home grown fowl. And they are beautiful.

You are most welcome! Buckeyes are a wonderful breed! They are rather beautiful birds aren't they? That dark garnet red is very impressive
smile.png
I've been breeding these birds for a few years now and they have become a real cornerstone in my flock!
What lines do you work with? Are you selling any hatching eggs this year?

What lines do you work with? Are you selling any hatching eggs this year?

Check out my website below in my sig line. It provides the info on my lines and my show results for the past couple years. I primarily breed Lay and Brown lines. You can also see how I view the color of the buckeye. right or wrong?!? I feel strongly in my views and it is hard to debate the overall results. I believe all lines have their merits; it boils down to how they are bred. IMO, I encourage people to be cautious with ALBC lines; I'm sure there are a few respectable birds in breeders hands but from what I've observed; the vast majority are not worth spending the time and energy with. They are very poor examples of the breed. Often the color is poor and they tend to have excess plumage (far to fluffy). Buckeyes are supposed to have tighter feathering. For what it's worth; that information is good to know going into acquiring new fowl. I encourage everyone to do their own research to ensure they find a respectable breeder and not a peddler. As for me selling fowl; I am building much larger numbers and don't sell eggs or chicks at this time.

~~Wonder what happened to the likes of cgmccary and fowlman1 (Walt). Their insight, wisdom, knowledge and experience is sorely missed. Hope to see both and/or like minded contributors again soon.

I don't start hatching until its averaging above 30. I don't get home until around 6 most days and the eggs are frozen. I'm hoping late February. I then keep them in the basement until around 4-6 weeks old when I put them outside in grow out pens. So hopefully by the middle of April its in the 60s which is the average temp of my basement.

Supposed to be above 30 this weekend, JoshU. Maybe you can get a Ground Hog Day jump on incubating.

Back
Top Bottom