The Buckeye Thread

Thanks guys, it has been a ride but one worth taking....this is just the beginning. The future looks bright for the buckeye breed regardless of how irrational and irresponsible some might be.
I have a hypothetical question, "if someone claimed their flock was infected with Mareks and had lost large numbers but was planning to take several of the birds to a large show whether they where carriers or not; would you show your birds in the same class?" Marek's is nothing to fool around with. It spreads through dander and even if the disease is common, it still could effect other birds that aren't experiencing problems and could potentially effect others flocks...... Please pay attention to things people say.....you are your birds last defense. Play attention to what people write. I'm here to help people raise strong healthy flocks of buckeyes that resemble what Nettie Metcalf intended for the breed!

Thanks guys, it has been a ride but one worth taking....this is just the beginning. The future looks bright for the buckeye breed regardless of how irrational and irresponsible some might be.
I have a hypothetical question, "if someone claimed their flock was infected with Mareks and had lost large numbers but was planning to take several of the birds to a large show whether they where carriers or not; would you show your birds in the same class?" Marek's is nothing to fool around with. It spreads through dander and even if the disease is common, it still could effect other birds that aren't experiencing problems and could potentially effect others flocks...... Please pay attention to things people say.....you are your birds last defense. Play attention to what people write. I'm here to help people raise strong healthy flocks of buckeyes that resemble what Nettie Metcalf intended for the breed!

No I wouldn't and I also wouldn't bring birds to a show that could potentially infect other competitors birds.

Let me get this straight: An exhibitor KNOWS his flock has Marek's and he is going to bring potentially infected birds to a show? This seems unethical to me that someone would be so irresponsible as to expose and entire exhibit hall to Marek's.

Is he a member of a club? What do the other members feel about exhibiting next to his birds? Is there any way to request being cooped in as far away from his birds as possible? Can you look at the entry sheet and tell where he's going to be so you're not cooped near him?

Is he a member of a club? What do the other members feel about exhibiting next to his birds? Is there any way to request being cooped in as far away from his birds as possible? Can you look at the entry sheet and tell where he's going to be so you're not cooped near him?

It doesn't matter who he is or where he's from....people are watching :) it goes without saying! My birds are protected and are in top notch health....I myself am not worried. This is why it is so important for your fowl to be in optimal health and condition when you take them to a show of any size because they'll need there immune system and health to resist stresses and fight off any illnesses that may present themselves!

Last edited:
Like you Joe, I wouldn't have my hair on fire about Marek's. Everyone knows it's ubiquitous (read: "it's everywhere") and the window for infection is when birds are still chicks. Presumably all the birds at show will have already been exposed to Marek's if they are at all exposed to the wild bird population. If it were as bad as all that, Marek's would be a reportable disease like Newcastle's and others. I agree, keep your birds in good conditions so that they can have strong immune systems and you have no worries. I will say that if I were to purchase anything at a show I would quarantine for a month just to see if some unscrupulous jerk gave a bird a big honking dose of antibiotics to mask something serious so they could unload it on the unsuspecting. It's happened folks, so buyer beware.

Joe, I would encourage her to stick with chickens. Our school had two kids the last two years (from the same 4H club no less) who got free rides as a result of their work with poultry. One of them is majoring in Ag and the other isn't. But if the kids are willing to work hard through middle school and high school, there is plenty of college money available if they apply for all the right scholarships.

Back
Top Bottom