The Buckeye Thread

Like you Joe, I wouldn't have my hair on fire about Marek's. Everyone knows it's ubiquitous (read: "it's everywhere") and the window for infection is when birds are still chicks. Presumably all the birds at show will have already been exposed to Marek's if they are at all exposed to the wild bird population. If it were as bad as all that, Marek's would be a reportable disease like Newcastle's and others. I agree, keep your birds in good conditions so that they can have strong immune systems and you have no worries. I will say that if I were to purchase anything at a show I would quarantine for a month just to see if some unscrupulous jerk gave a bird a big honking dose of antibiotics to mask something serious so they could unload it on the unsuspecting. It's happened folks, so buyer beware.

Marek's is present but it's not as wide spread as you suggest...it's not in Walmart..probably not in your feed stores......and a bird can be infected at any stage in life.....I know this for a fact....because I've personally witnessed it. Cut the crap regarding the window if infection! I've witnessed birds from 4 days only too 2 years old die from it....they fall apart.....the majority dying between 4 and 7 months of age. If they do over come it, they remain carriers and often die due to internal lesions....they usually become lethargic before that happens.
That for sure is your presumption. What will actually happen will be potential direct carriers exposing other fowl....that in itself shows ignorance and extreme disrespect to fellow fanciers!
But as you said...good health will help.....thanks for your input :)

Last edited:
Joe, I would encourage her to stick with chickens. Our school had two kids the last two years (from the same 4H club no less) who got free rides as a result of their work with poultry. One of them is majoring in Ag and the other isn't. But if the kids are willing to work hard through middle school and high school, there is plenty of college money available if they apply for all the right scholarships.

You may have even seen one of them. He was the State ambassador or some such and posted pics on his FB page from the Clinton Co. fair earlier in the summer. Along with LOTS of other County fairs he went to.

Joe, I'd respectfully suggest that the birds that died at 2 yrs were infected young and didn't manifest until later. And yes, it is that widespread according to virtually every poultry program in every vet school, are there wild birds at the feed store? yep. Walmart? yep. Is there anywhere that birds are raised in isolation from the airborne dander of the wild bird population? They might be unexposed. No crap to cut here my friend...

Joe, I'd respectfully suggest that the birds that died at 2 yrs were infected young and didn't manifest until later. And yes, it is that widespread according to virtually every poultry program in every vet school, are there wild birds at the feed store? yep. Walmart? yep. Is there anywhere that birds are raised in isolation from the airborne dander of the wild bird population? They might be unexposed. No crap to cut here my friend...

You can respectfully suggest all you want :) I'm always open to to new viewpoints. The school of hard knocks and generations of actual poultry rearing suggests something a bit different. There may be Marek's in many places, but the problem is something entirely different. Why is it that the American gamecock can go for decades without it being a problem but the barnyard fowl have such problems....if its everywhere, the gamecock would surely fall apart as well. The answer lies in genetic resistance and proper breeding....at any rate, ignorance will still bring infected birds in direct contact with potentially healthy birds and expose them. There is no way around that and there is no way to argue that. It's not everyone's fault that the ALBC line is genetically weak amongst other problems. Bring Chris out to play :) Friend

Last edited:
Another thought occurred to me in thinking of your post and Marek's. By your logic, any fancier who's flock has experienced Marek's should never show again because it would be 'disrespectful' to others of the fancy to show birds that could be potential carriers. Since we are talking about a virus here, we're talking about something that can actually live in the soil for years (I know you know this Joe, I'm saying it for the benefit of others). So we're now not only talking about the flock but the location where the flock was raised and reared. You'll not have just flocks banned from show by your logic, Joe, you'd ban entire localities. CAN an adult bird be infected with Marek's? I'm sure it's possible. Is it probable? Not bloody likely. A better question might be why would you want to exclude someone from show for something that is part and parcel to life in the fancy?

Quote: Why are Seabrights so susceptable? Why is anything so much more in one population than it is in another? Don't make spurious correlations and hold them out as gospel Joe. Your may experience lead you to a conclusion but mind you, yours is a very limited experience. I'd rather you base what you hold out there to be indisputable truth on more than your subjective and limited experience.
smile.png

Another thought occurred to me in thinking of your post and Marek's. By your logic, any fancier who's flock has experienced Marek's should never show again because it would be 'disrespectful' to others of the fancy to show birds that could be potential carriers. Since we are talking about a virus here, we're talking about something that can actually live in the soil for years (I know you know this Joe, I'm saying it for the benefit of others). So we're now not only talking about the flock but the location where the flock was raised and reared. You'll not have just flocks banned from show by your logic, Joe, you'd ban entire localities. CAN an adult bird be infected with Marek's? I'm sure it's possible. Is it probable? Not bloody likely. A better question might be why would you want to exclude someone from show for something that is part and parcel to life in the fancy?

Back to enjoying myself ;)....had some club business to address.
I see where you are coming from....but most birds that have been exposed or are carriers often die before 2 years old....I know I wouldn't do that to other people. If I had a real bad Marek's problem....culling would be really heavy. So I'd likely have nothing to show....with any disease, I feel people should refrain from exposing their problems to other flocks until they know they have it under control...that would seem responsible and decent!! I know that I'd sure as heck wouldn't be exhibiting birds from a lot that was recently exposed and had real issues....
It's called a disease....not just a virus! Come on now....you know that there are ways to sterilize the ground as well as pens.....they make plenty of sterilizing agents ;). People should be utilizing such things to maintain a clean flock.
Can an adult bird be affected with Marek's I'm sure it's possible....Just got off the phone with a vet whom is a close friend and he said that its possible and should NEVER be ruled out. So by his admission....it's possible! who knows what the odds are. That younger fowl are more susceptible to acquire the disease. But fall shows are predominately younger fowl.....so let's just go ahead and risk exposure?!?! I'm sure the exhibitors will appreciate that you're willing to take the risk....are they? So lets have a beauty pageant and invite a model with ebola and see how the other mods feel?!?! But why should we exclude her?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom