The Buckeye Thread

Man, they sure do grow fast. My first batch is getting feathers and putting on noticeable weight to hold them. Of course, they are curious as well at this young age, pecking at whatever I put in the brooder, whether it be a dish or new bedding, or my fingers. They have to check out everything. I love seeing how nice a broad their heads are too even as chicks. I hate skinny headed Buckeyes.
My second hatch is on its way out. They are due tomorrow, but some just couldn't wait to get out in the big world and began hatching late last night. I am not monkeying with temps on the incubator either, every time I do it just makes a mess of everything. The fan problem didn't seem to take a big toll on things, thank goodness. Of course, the best fertility is on my two main breeds, the Bucks and New Hampshires, and those are the majority of what I have been setting. I should have around 100 Buckeye chicks out by this next hatch coming up (#3), and that will be good for coming out of that cock. I have two more I will use this season, then make my comparisons for selection this summer and fall. With the warmer weather, I am getting very excited to see these kids out on the pasture on green grass and watch them growing up.

Congratulations! What a relief that the fan didn't screw things up too badly! Pics pleeeeeeze
big_smile.png

Blueface your website looks great.(I haven't looked at the mobile one and I did not spot any bugs in the desktop version). I love, love love the new section about Nettie Metcalf and the historical photos of Buckeyes. I'm glad you kept the section on faults to look for, it helps beginner breeders like myself look more critically at our birds. Just one suggestion- change the website link in your BYC signature to the new website. An another- hint- you can't have too many photos of Buckeyes.

We're gonna' try to make the Marietta Show...only about 2.5 hours from my house and that includes quick breakfast stop! It will be our first and will be very exciting, no doubt!

EDIT: @Blueface, if you and I both make this show, I'll be very happy to finally make your acquaintance. Very good luck.

RON

wee.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom