The Duck Thread

Wow SandyM.  You have some major experience with birds.  I am impressed.  I love the names too.  I am from that era for sure from which the names originated.  I thinks it's so cute you're so excited about the arrival of your new ducks.  Please post pics of them.  And you get it about the faces.  Thank you!!  I do too.  

Hi!

Ummm, I really don't have any experience with my chickens or ducks. I've had them for just over 3 weeks. The chickens that is. I've had some amazing help! Someone on here I met has been invaluable with her support and knowledge and the info on BYC! Wow! So amazing, right down to the good poops
And bad poops. (Which I've already reference).
I named another today. Although she is a female and the character is male she fits it wonderfully. She is 'Dash' from the movie Incredibles. She doesn't walk or strut ...
She dashes EVERYWHERE she goes. Only 11 to go! Haha!
I'll definitely post pictures of the ducklings. My blog followers will be happy to have something other than chicken news to read haha!

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. (Although I think you've mistaken me for someone with real experience lol)

5 sleeps to go before the 10 ducklings arrive.

We just had to, after visiting with another BYC member that has duck's, we found some Muscovy's.. We are adding to our flock, our drake Rick need's 1 more girl.. No name yet

Look at that face!! Ohhhh my! So sweet .. Enjoy :)

Whay a busy day!! Had the best hatch ever! 15/15 ducks. These are my own. Purebred Pekin and Cayuga drakes over Cayuga, Buff Orp, Khaki and Blue Swedish hens.
5/5 maran x chicks. These are the strangest batch of chicks. Thought they would all be maran looking but got a yellow chick, a brown chick, a chipmunk chick and 2 maran chicks. A couple are not as strong as i had hoped. Not sure if they will all make it.
Then i went out to check my sitting muscovy hen and she had killed the first duckling so i made the decision to take her eggs. Hatched 7 out. Look a little weak but i think it will be ok. These I am giving to a friend of mine for her farm. I have 3 muscovy drakes and 8 hens. I dont need any more!

So it's 2am in Maine and I hear a ruckus outside.... Quacking, honking... General merrymaking... I go investigate... I had left my flashlight on, outside and insects were swarming the light... 16 ducks and geese enjoying an all you can eat buffet!!! Gonna have to bring the neighbors some eggs in the morning!

Whay a busy day!! Had the best hatch ever! 15/15 ducks. These are my own. Purebred Pekin and Cayuga drakes over Cayuga, Buff Orp, Khaki and Blue Swedish hens.
5/5 maran x chicks. These are the strangest batch of chicks. Thought they would all be maran looking but got a yellow chick, a brown chick, a chipmunk chick and 2 maran chicks. A couple are not as strong as i had hoped. Not sure if they will all make it.
Then i went out to check my sitting muscovy hen and she had killed the first duckling so i made the decision to take her eggs. Hatched 7 out. Look a little weak but i think it will be ok. These I am giving to a friend of mine for her farm. I have 3 muscovy drakes and 8 hens. I dont need any more!

Wow!! That is a super busy day!!

I've got 4 eggs due to hatch pretty soon and I have a feeling I'll be looking at a sticky hatch. One egg definitely has the glow. Can someone help me with a prep list ? Please. I did post elsewhere and didn't get any help. Thanks to anyone who could help.

Hi!

Ummm, I really don't have any experience with my chickens or ducks. I've had them for just over 3 weeks. The chickens that is. I've had some amazing help! Someone on here I met has been invaluable with her support and knowledge and the info on BYC! Wow! So amazing, right down to the good poops
And bad poops. (Which I've already reference).
I named another today. Although she is a female and the character is male she fits it wonderfully. She is 'Dash' from the movie Incredibles. She doesn't walk or strut ...
She dashes EVERYWHERE she goes. Only 11 to go! Haha!
I'll definitely post pictures of the ducklings. My blog followers will be happy to have something other than chicken news to read haha!

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. (Although I think you've mistaken me for someone with real experience lol)

5 sleeps to go before the 10 ducklings arrive.
Haha. 5 sleeps to go. Love your countdown method, SandyM. And experience or not with chickens, you are to be admired for taking on the challenge for sure. It's nice you've found somebody on BYC that has been so helpful. These forums are so fun. You get to meet people from all over the US and the world, too.

I love the name Dash. I bet she is super fast too darting all over the yard.

I've got 4 eggs due to hatch pretty soon and I have a feeling I'll be looking at a sticky hatch. One egg definitely has the glow. Can someone help me with a prep list ? Please. I did post elsewhere and didn't get any help. Thanks to anyone who could help.
Try and get ahold of Lacrystol over on the call ducks finally hatched thread. she is incredible at guiding people thru hatching ducklings. Apparently calls are a very difficult breed to hatch successfully but she has done it. She has not only hatched ducks but chickens as well so she has a wide breadth of experience. And, best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom