The EE braggers thread!!!

I'm debating on selling the roo or not. He's a really good rooster
how old is he? you could seperate him for a few months to give him time to mellow out
6 hens to 1 roo. The person who had him befor said he needs 8-10 hens or he will over breed, but thought at firs it was bogus. Gave him 4 hens. No eggs, bought 2 more, still no eggs.
the rooster dosent really have anything to do with the hens egg production

she IS my favorite chicken but like you said "many people enjoy the colored eggs they get from them" I was hoping to be one of those people. I want a colorful basket but can only have a small amount of chickens total so I have to plan out my future chickens to get the best variety of colors. Right now I have 2 brown that are very close in shade and cream and my welly should lay soon so my next batch I'll probably get another EE or an Ameraucana since MPC sells them now and there's also a great Ameraucana breeder in my area which if I can time it right I could possibly get a chick from.

There are other colored layers. I really love my cream legbar, and you can see the egg she came from (beautiful blue) in my July hatch a long photos. They have a light build as well, and I think they are quite beautiful. I like Ameracaunas and EE's as well (have an EE, and have hatched Ams), but my legbar's personality is nice, she's a great watcher for the flock (they are good at evading predators) and she forages VERY well.

We have always been amazed that our backyard EE line lays x-large eggs and all all year around without light. I had an inbred rooster (2 generations) and bred it back to it's mother and a Production Red. The Production Red was a very good layer about 5 large eggs per week. The mother EE laid 6-7 days a week for almost 2 years all large eggs . She is 7 years old now.

The Production Red's baby lays 4 times per week all x-large. The very inbred EE from the mother EE lays 6 days a week but eggs are small by USDA standard. So I weighed 6 small vs 4 x-large. The six small weighed 11 ounces. The 4 x-large weighed 9 ounces.

So after all of this rambling, I found that having a small Excellent 6 per week layer is just as good as having a Very Good 4 x-large per week layer. The only difference in the eggs was the amount of white. The yolks are the same size.

The inbred EE is a very beautiful bird with muffs and beards, a pea comb, and blue eggs.

Here's some updated ones of my Eleanor. The cream egg laying EE. She's 26 weeks. Her first egg was Saturday the 9th.

Today's photo shoot along with a picture of her first egg and her egg from today with my RIR and BSL's. It's crazy to me how her first 2 eggs are as big if not larger than ones I get from my girls who have been laying for a month. She is my biggest chicken though, so I guess it's only right. I still haven't gotten a scale yet but I hope they get even bigger and she gives me nice big jumbos.

Back
Top Bottom