The evils of feather dusters! **Warning**

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
A few days ago my lone Serama chick - Zephyr - hatched, healthy and feisty but severely lonely. I did what any good Chicken Mommy would do and bought a feather duster (ostrich feather). I cut some feathers off and bound them together to make a little chick friend for Zephyr. New Year's morning I went down to love him up and check on the temp in the brooder. What I found made my heart stop. Somehow, one of the feathers, just a little strand, got wrapped tightly around his foot. The foot was swollen and pink and he was screaming his head off. I carefully pulled and cut it off and thankfully it had not cut into his skin. He could still use it just fine but spent the rest of the day pecking at it and of course, used it for extra sympathy and love lol. By last night the swelling was completely gone and you couldn't tell anything had happened, but he still played up the whole event for more love
lol.png

Least to say, the feathers got culled and I will never ever use one again with chicks. I never in my wildest dreams thought something like that could happen. I could see if he had got tangled in the binding or something but it was just a simple, soft feather strand about the size of a piece of thread. It is a shame too because Zephyr really loved it
sad.png

DSC00201.jpg

DSC00198.jpg

Oh no:th But I am so happy you got it free and it is ok. Who would have ever thought that. Thanks for the warning. Give the chick some love from me too

Poor fellow. Give him some chicken feathers instead. No long strands. Or use a stuffed toy.

I never thought about that. I hung the feather duster from the side of the brooder with the bottom just clearing the floor. They couldn't really step on that. You might try it if the chick really liked it (and the picture tells that story).

60454_7-21groupshot.jpg

As you can see, it was up out of harm's way.

I dug up a chunk of sod near my garden. It was mostly just weeds and grass sitting in a plastic freezer container. I'd leave it in there until it started looking shabby and then take it out for some sun and water for a day. I was trying to give them access to some of the dirt they would be living around. Someone said that was important for developing a localized immunity to Cocci.

Quote:
Sharol, your brooder looks so cozy. What kind of greens did you grow for them?

Back
Top Bottom