The Evolution of Atlas: A Breeding (and Chat) Thread

Cynthia, my left 3 fingers are numb due to a broken wrist a few years ago. And my right 3 fingers are numb due to the meds i'm on. No stitching for me, sorry to say.
Well, bummer. I am still using all that wonderful fabric you sent to me. I think of you every time I use it. :hugs

WHAT??? I listen to you , I think everyone does, aside from liking someone, there's very little that tells anyone that their posts are read.

I think american buff is good to get. And your ratio of male to female is good.
I think I over analyze and over think things most times. Especially when it comes to human interactions which I stink at. :rolleyes:

I had a talk with my husband and we are gonna make a separate area for the geese next to the turkeys with a small run in shed. Hopefully it's enough. This way they aren't running amok.

Sometimes I wonder about people on here. There was a person asking about transporting some very young pullets for a 13 hour trip. They planned to run the car's AC so they wouldn't overheat, and not put too many per cage. Watermelon slices were considered for hydration, so it wouldn't spill making a mess. I suggested smallish boxes, with plenty of air holes at various levels, and on all sides of the box. Watermelon might work, but it would be better to stop every 4 - 6 hours, and offer them some water. When transporting, I use a couple cups that have been cut down, and bottled water. That way at the end of the trip, I can toss the cups into the garbage.

I was informed that transporting chickens in boxes will kill them, because there is not enough air flow, even with holes cut into it. Dog crates with plenty of room are best.

The first time I transported chickens was a trio I got. I learned a LOT about transporting chickens on that trip. When I met up with the person I was buying the chickens from, he had brought them from Alabama to Florida in cardboard boxes. It was winter, so AC was not an issue. The boxes were not very tall, so the chickens could not stand, and there was not a lot of excess room for them to move. When I saw that, I was a bit taken aback. I got my chickens, and loaded them into a nice big dog crate, in the back of my SUV.

At first, getting out of the parking lot, turning on to the road, then stopping at the light, then turning again, the chickens had room to slide around. NOT good. Sliding chickens can get hurt. I went real slow when stopping, turning, or accelerating to keep them from sliding around. After I got on the interstate and had traveled a bit of distance at a steady pace, they laid down. They stayed laying down the rest of the trip home. They didn't need all that extra height the crate provided. I understood the merits of a well ventilated cardboard box that was suited to their size when laying down, without room for them to slide around in. When I say well ventilated, I don't mean cut a couple tiny holes in each side. I put several rows of fairly good sized holes, not just at the top, but in the middle and towards the bottom on all sides, so they don't get too hot. I've never lost one yet.

I handle rehab raptors sometimes. When sending them on to the rehab facility, they always go into a tall cardboard box with holes around the top where they can not look out - much less stressful for them to be in a dark enclosure. A taller box also helps with ventilation, as the heat rises. I do use smaller plastic pet crates sometimes, but cover them with a towel to darken them. Never do we put them in an open wire dog crate, unless the whole thing is covered.

Went today to get my shoulder x-rayed. Everything is still where they put it. :). I have a new respect for anyone with one arm or a cast on their arm. I'm exhausted mostly using one arm. When I originally get this shoulder replaced 16 years ago I was encouraged to move and use it. With this reversal of the replacement I'm supposed to keep it in a sling for most of the day. It is wearing me out. Of course it could be because I'm older, or even that I got my knee replaced 7 months ago and am still healing from that. Either way I'm tired.

We decided to set up a separate goose pen next to my turkeys. So I can stop worrying about them harassing my chickens. :)

I have always moved birds in small dark containers to keep them quiet and so they don't panic. I have also seen plenty of folks stuff them in gunny sacks at swap meets. :hmm

Back
Top Bottom