THE FIRST EGG MY CHICKENS LAID

Pics
My Golden comet Nugget laid her first egg on Monday !!! She is 4 months old.We have 3 more chickens that are 4 months old and 4 that are 3 months and 2 weeks. I am so excited about being a first time egg mom.
Congratulations! It feels good to find that first egg doesn't it! I am so Eggcited for you Krisabelle! And thanks for joining our thread :)

Hello Everyone! I have 6 chickens: 4 marans/EE mixes and 2 red sexlinks. The marans/EE girls will be 20 weeks by Saturday and the sexlinks' age is unknown but somewhere around 18-20 weeks. As of today I have 5 squatters! I'm expecting an egg any time in the next week or so. Here's what my girls look like tonight.
(You can see the difference in comb/wattles in the girl in my profile picture and the first thumbnail below. Same girl!)

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 14
  • unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 10
  • unnamed-4.jpg
    unnamed-4.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 9
  • unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 8
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 9
What is the meaning of this?
Hello Everyone! I have 6 chickens: 4 marans/EE mixes and 2 red sexlinks. The marans/EE girls will be 20 weeks by Saturday and the sexlinks' age is unknown but somewhere around 18-20 weeks. As of today I have 5 squatters! I'm expecting an egg any time in the next week or so. Here's what my girls look like tonight.
(You can see the difference in comb/wattles in the girl in my profile picture and the first thumbnail below. Same girl!)
What does squatters mean you referenced?

What is the meaning of this?

What does squatters mean you referenced?

It's a sign that pullets are mature and ready to start laying eggs. It's literally the stance a hen takes to allow a Roo to mate with her, but also can be done to show submission to a hen higher in the pecking order. They spread their feet slightly, squat down and lift their wings a bit. It looks sort of like a lineman in an American football game. :)

Last edited:
H
Hey AlaskaEE those are some nice looking chickens. Are they laying yet?

It's a sign that pullets are mature and ready to start laying eggs. It's literally the stance a hen takes to allow a Roo to mate with her, but also can be done to show submission to a hen higher in the pecking order. They spread their feet slightly, squat down and lift their wings a bit. It looks sort of like a lineman in an American football game. :)
Lol. Football fans would love this definition. Great explanation

Back
Top Bottom