The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I'm not a photogragher, but I think natural indirect light would be best. Let them out late in the afternoon during low light conditions.
I have found that the biggest thing is your flash if you are inside. You can't be to close. It is better to stand away a little and use the zoom. I use a 16 MP 30 time zoom and still have problems.
If the sun is shining to bright it can really mess them up sometimes. Like raising chicks, start with 25 to get 2 or 3. lol
Jim

Quote:
How do I get nice true pictures of sunrises and sunsets? I live on a hill and get beautiful sunrises and sunsets but my pictures don't do them justice. I have tried many different settings on my camera and can get some pretty good pics but not great true pics.

Last edited:
I found an egg today from my Underwood pullets. They are just over 8 months old. It was a decent size for a pullet egg too. The marans are starting to lay, I am hoping the barren streak has ended.

My Mohawks/Reese line birds just started laying too at about the same age. The eggs are pretty good size too.

I have found that the biggest thing is your flash if you are inside. You can't be to close. It is better to stand away a little and use the zoom. I use a 16 MP 30 time zoom and still have problems.
If the sun is shining to bright it can really mess them up sometimes. Like raising chicks, start with 25 to get 2 or 3. lol
Jim

This might be kind of stupid but I try to take my pictures at their level...in other words I pretty much lay or sit on the ground.

This might be kind of stupid but I try to take my pictures at their level...in other words I pretty much lay or sit on the ground.
That's true as far as the profile of the picture but I think that what they are asking about is more on the color, shading etc. If you are wanting to really show the profile, you do have to almost be at their level. You really can't tell tail angles or roach in the back if you are higher then they are.
Jim

How do I get nice true pictures of sunrises and sunsets? I live on a hill and get beautiful sunrises and sunsets but my pictures don't do them justice. I have tried many different settings on my camera and can get some pretty good pics but not great true pics.
This is kind of a toughy question because I've always heard the the sun should be behind you when taking pictures. If you were taking a picture of sunrise or sunset wouldn't the sun be shining in your face, not behind you. Lual might answer these questions, I think she is a photographer.
Jim

Quote:
Thanks, Here is an example of a sunset picture just after the sun had set but the sky was so pretty, but the pic isn't as pretty. I tried different setting for this pic but none are true. I have more pictures but these were the first ones I came across.

Last edited:
Thanks, Here is an example of a sunset picture just after the sun had set but the sky was so pretty, but the pic isn't as pretty. I tried different setting for this pic but none are true. I have more pictures but these were the first ones I came across.

In a previous life I did advertising photography in NYC. Also taught a few college Photography courses. A couple of observations: first you're doing the right thing by bracketing your exposures. Sunsets [and sunrises] are difficult lighting situations & you'd rarely get one right with a single exposure.
Most camera metering &/or auto exposure systems measue light intensity at the center of the frame. In all the shots you provided the brightest part of the image is directly in the center so the darker parts of the frame are necessarily under exposed.
Since it's the sunset you're trying to capture there's a couple of things you can try. Lift the camera so that you aren't including so much of the dark ground-with such an extreme lighting contrast all that will ever be is a black void & it's really the sunset you're after anyway. Also, try not putting the brightest spot in the center of the frame. Since most metering systems a center weighted try focusing on a medium-lit portion of the frame. It will create a more dynamic image & perhaps one that shows a better colour balance.

Back
Top Bottom