The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

We are going to be trying to get some RIR this fall/spring. Has anyone found these birds to do better in one set up over the other? I will be slowly reading through this thread just wanting to get working on my run. Is there any difference between these birds and the hatchery ones temperaments. Are the roosters as nasty?

All of my Heritage boys are sweethearts. I have never had a mean one, that is not to say I have never had a mean rooster as I had a RSL male years ago that like to attack me. He is long gone. My Heritage girls are my best layers.

We are going to be trying to get some RIR this fall/spring. Has anyone found these birds to do better in one set up over the other? I will be slowly reading through this thread just wanting to get working on my run. Is there any difference between these birds and the hatchery ones temperaments. Are the roosters as nasty?

Oh my! The difference in temperament is profound! I no longer have any hatchery stock. Once you have standard bred Reds you will never want hatchery stock again. ;-)

my standard RIR hens are the friendliest, calmest, least flighty chicken I have ever seen; practically a nuisance under foot.

my standard RIR hens are the friendliest, calmest, least flighty chicken I have ever seen; practically a nuisance under foot.

I have had standard RIR's in the past and they were great birds too. I wanted to show birds and wanted some true pure RIR's whose lineage could be traced back many generations. I still do have a few older standard RIR hens. All my birds are wonderful birds and very friendly. If a stranger comes around the birds won't go up to a stranger but practically knock me over getting under my feet. These are young birds in the picture. I have to be careful that I don't step on them.
<p>

My birds are 13 weeks old today. I'm pretty confident now that I have one cockerel and four pullets. I gave one pullet to a close friend of mine. The cockerel is developing the beginning of his hackle and saddle feathers- not to mention his tail feathers are finally coming in and they are dark shiny black. I think they are all molting, because I'm finding a lot of feathers in their pen. As they develop I'm noticing I'd like deeper keels and more vibrant leg color on them. Plus they can always be darker. I'm pleased with the amount of horn coloration and their width through their bodies so far. I'll add some photos this evening.

My birds are 13 weeks old today. I'm pretty confident now that I have one cockerel and four pullets. I gave one pullet to a close friend of mine. The cockerel is developing the beginning of his hackle and saddle feathers- not to mention his tail feathers are finally coming in and they are dark shiny black. I think they are all molting, because I'm finding a lot of feathers in their pen. As they develop I'm noticing I'd like deeper keels and more vibrant leg color on them. Plus they can always be darker. I'm pleased with the amount of horn coloration and their width through their bodies so far. I'll add some photos this evening.

They will go through several molts their first few months. After they turn a year old then usually they will molt once a year. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that has been my experience. Also, I wish they would all molt at one but that's not going to happen. My older birds have started to go through their yearly molt and the young ones are molting too. It looks like there has been pillow fights down at the coops and pens. Looking forward to you pictures. I just love pictures...

Hi all, I had someone contact me looking for nice Rhode Island Reds but he is in S. Carolina and I'm in Arizona---too hot here to be shipping birds so I told him there's got to be good breeders closer. He said he could travel as far away as Georgia. So I'm asking for him, anybody in that vicinity breeding these? I'm not sure if he is particular about SC vs RC. I was going to suggest Matt1616 but I think he is too far away for this guy also.

Back
Top Bottom