The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Lola and Kay. First two pullets from this year's chicks.

Lola 4 months old.

Butterball. 3 months old. She is from the last hatch this Spring. I think she will be the biggest.
love.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif

What is really interesting is the girls' top lines. They have great US and English...to their standard...Type. Just look at Butterball ! Love her, and if this color ever gets recognized, she's be at the top. If she shows up missing, you know where to look !

Vickie, the GL variety is so unpredictable. I feel as if I have hatched out everything under the sun-genetically. It takes large numbers to get a few that I can use for breeding. I have a feeling they won't be breeding true for several generations. That's why some have the Eng type and some the US type. I guess I need to use that as an advantage and breed two lines...when we get the variety accepted, I'll be ready. But in the meantime, I will get (at least one line) as Eng as possible since that's what I like. I'd like to work towards the older version of what won in the UK. Everyone needs a focus, I guess.

To everyone else, thanks for commenting on my babies! I just can't tell you how much joy they bring me. All of them...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Last edited:
Dee they are very pretty and I really like your butterball. great color.

Lynn I didn't get to move them today but in the morning before I head to work I am going to get them all moved. It was raining here today and we needed it. Mine are all eating like horses. I am going through about 100 lb of chick starter a week. I sure am glad they have it on sell this week. It is going to be hot this week. Today was the last 80 degree weather for a while. I think Wed is going to get to 97 here.

LOL..My group with white and blk orp have been blowing through the feed too..I have to run down this week and get more..those dont go out in the big orchard yet..just in thier little grassy pen...Im going to follow the buffs out there and see what is so yummy..they pace at the fence for their turn out there....probably those little salamanders ..BLUK! There is wild strawberry, crow berry, and assortment of things they like..

Last edited:
Vickie, the GL variety is so unpredictable. I feel as if I have hatched out everything under the sun-genetically. It takes large numbers to get a few that I can use for breeding. I have a feeling they won't be breeding true for several generations. That's why some have the Eng type and some the US type. I guess I need to use that as an advantage and breed two lines...when we get the variety accepted, I'll be ready. But in the meantime, I will get (at least one line) as Eng as possible since that's what I like. I'd like to work towards the older version of what won in the UK. Everyone needs a focus, I guess.

To everyone else, thanks for commenting on my babies! I just can't tell you how much joy they bring me. All of them...the good, the bad, and the ugly.
The older UK version and the US version are the same ! Just keep crossing the 2 types back and forth. When you get extreme current British type, breed it to moderate to keep things going. If you don't, you'll end up with Gold Laced Rocks, or Cochins.

The older UK version and the US version are the same ! Just keep crossing the 2 types back and forth. When you get extreme current British type, breed it to moderate to keep things going. If you don't, you'll end up with Gold Laced Rocks, or Cochins.

You sound like Dr Batty! I really think that is why he has taken such an interest in the US Orps. I will send him pictures of this generation. He said he'd be happy to look at them and comment. Nice to know I have experts helping me on both sides of the pond! If I could just let my birds know how many are working together on their arranged marriages :0) (My boys don't care what the final decision is as long as they can get near their girls again...MEN)

I just have to post a few pictures I snapped this morning. I really wish I was talented with a lens. My pictures do not do my birds justice.

My GLO is almost the size of my 10 month old. She is really turning out to be a nice size. She is twice the size of the birds she was raised with. The male GLO was dust bathing and not picture ready. It is a bit hot today. It must be 80 out and they are a bit shocked. They are so used to 40's.

Not Orpingtons..but a nice picture of mother and baby's.

Finally !!! No rain. The Buffs out really enjoying the orchard today. The Hydrangeas have loved all the rain. Lots more blooms coming. There is bird netting on those bushes that they have grown up through.Good hiding places with the lines overhead.

2 - 3 month old Monty babies with 3 -8 week old Max babies.

Mrs. Pumphry is still molting....
Monty keeping an eye on everything

vickie, those photos Are amazing! wow those birds look fantastic..it just quit raining here too..it just wouldnt let up for days..finnaly put the wee ones out..they are flying all over..loving it..hate keeping them cooped up, but it has been a deluge..

Back
Top Bottom