The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I got hooded blue chicks this yr after adding Joy line into my coop. It is a very pretty look. I think...I remember Bama posting on here those are usually roos... BUT don't quote me on that.... lol In any case... Jeremy... he is adorable :)

Look back up there at Jeremy's chick.. ^ see the dark head<< that is what I am referring to as hooded.. :) I posted some pics of my recent hatch... and if you check them out.. You will see some of mine have the dark head too.

There's another side to the coin. What if this is going to be a big old wide tank of a blue hen? The kind where the ground shakes when they walk. That could be very cool!
Roger, Your rooster looks really nice.

Jeremy, That is one cute chick. I believe the same as you. He looks masculine. I say roo.

Does anyone have any good ideas for egg eaters? I have tried ceramic eggs and english mustard in the eggs. Are there any good rollaway nexting box plans out there or cheap ones I can order?

Does anyone have any good ideas for egg eaters? I have tried ceramic eggs and english mustard in the eggs. Are there any good rollaway nexting box plans out there or cheap ones I can order?

I've had a few egg eaters in the past, I tried ceramic eggs and that seemed to work for a little while, but when I stopped using them the hens started eating their eggs again. I literally had to go out every morning and wait for them to lay their eggs and then grab them when they popped out to prevent them from eating them. I had a much smaller flock when I had this issue (only 8 birds) and after about 2 weeks of doing this I stopped and they never tried to eat their eggs again. I'm sure roll away nesting boxes would have been a much easier fix but I didn't have the carpentry know how or the funds to buy them.

You may have to just remove the hens that are eating eggs from your flock.

ETA: Is that your Blue hen pictured in your avatar? From the looks of it she is very beautiful.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, I'm sure hoping Liam is a he. If he isn't though and he is a great big wide bodied pullet like DaveK mentioned, I don't think I would be too sad about that either!
big_smile.png
I'll just have to come up with a different name.

I have never had any luck stopping an egg eater,
sad.png
Sorry! We've had them encourage the other hens to do the same, so if we can figure out who it is we cull them right away. (never an easy decision.......)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom