The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Would love to hear what people think of our 21 week old English Orp pullet, Bella. I really am new to chicken raising and primarily got my pullets for eggs and fun. All my others are hatchery birds but I happened to end up with this one non-hatchery bird. My girls will be doing their first 4H show this summer and Bella seems like an obvious choice to show. But she is very nervous and I'm not sure she could handle it!
wink.png

she is beautiful
droolin.gif

well after a long battle with my self I decided to sell all my orps, im downsizing cause I need the room to concentrate on my naked necks

im going to enter a couple of hens at the lake city show, and im bringing the young ones to sell at the show,
and they all will be for sale

and these are some of the pullets im bringing to lake city I have like 10 cockerels and over 20 pullets

What colors
well after a long battle with my self I decided to sell all my orps, im downsizing cause I need the room to concentrate on my naked necks im going to enter a couple of hens at the lake city show, and im bringing the young ones to sell at the show, and they all will be for sale and these are some of the pullets im bringing to lake city I have like 10 cockerels and over 20 pullets
what colors of orps do you have? These are stunning

I've found that the shorter an Orp's back is, the fewer eggs it will lay.Some of the very short backed imports have shoulders and hips that form a square if you measure them. I breed for a good, wide rectangular body, looking down from on top. Couple that with a good deep breast, and you should have a good layer.A good strong looking head, and correct running gear are very important too for foraging ability.The Orps that just waddle about, due to those very short backs, just don't cut it.

The only thing I would add is keeping laying records and culling the slackers.
Walt

The only thing I would add is keeping laying records and culling the slackers.
Walt

Thank you Walt & Vicki.

I typically keep track of who lays what throughout the season, so it's good to get that reassurance.

I'm concerned though, because I do breed for a more cobby, shorter backed bird in my line...

Back
Top Bottom