The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Where in Washington???
droolin.gif
They are gorgeous!

Spangle Orpington (Cooper's Babies) Big, fluffy and round, Super gentle
We have many offspring's just like this on our farm here in WASHINGTON State
Autumn Farm Orpingtons, Farm that is dedicated to breeding quality chickens.
they do not carry the Jubilee gene that does not pass on the red feathers.

So did you finally breed out all of the red feather that resulting from outcrossing your Mottled line to Jubilee?

That must have been difficult, seeing how the genetics behind the red bleed through are for the most part recessive, you must have had to really be selective with your breeders, and cull very aggressively to have corrected such a severe problem within your Mottled line.

Way to go!

I wonder if it would have been easier if you had just outcrossed to say, Black? Probably would have taken fewer generations to breed back to pure Mottled birds. You also wouldn't have ever had to deal with red leakage if this route had been taken. Outcrossing to Black wouldn't have made you question if your flock was unknowingly carrying unwanted genetics, that due to being unexpressed, can hide within a flock for generations.

Different strokes for different folks I guess!
wink.png

Spangle Orpington (Cooper's Babies) Big, fluffy and round, Super gentle We have many offspring's just like this on our farm here in WASHINGTON State Autumn Farm Orpingtons, Farm that is dedicated to breeding quality chickens. they do not carry the Jubilee gene that does not pass on the red feathers.
I have the exact same color as this hen, I thought they were called Mottled? I'll post pics tomorrow

I am wondering about maturity also. Mine were hatched end of June. I am wondering when I should start looking for eggs. And installing nesting boxes. They are BBS English Orps. 4 hens and 3 roosters, the roosters are still bumbling around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom