The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Is it just mine? Or is everyone's moulting right now? All of my 5 month olds are looking so ratty cause they are nearly naked....is it moulting time or???? I have been wanting to take more pics but they look too bad to share....lol. They are all happy and eating and free ranging. My yard and coop look like a feather graveyard....

Mine are molting too... I checked under a couple of saddles and the feathers are coming back in.
smile.png
I will be soo glad not to have nikked chickens
smile.png

Hi all,
I just received some 50/75 English black chicks back about 4 1/2 months ago. It was not long till one was obviously a male. Now I am wondering about the other two. Do they tend to grow in small combs and wattles quicker than American orps? I sure hope so. They are so pretty. Gloria Jean

I just redid my Chicken Pens today and put a gate out to the big pasture next to the pens. They can now free range all day without eating my squash and tomatoes and peppers. The brats! They are all moulting pretty much but I got a few pics today.

These are my chicks from Julie. They are 17 weeks.
Splash Pullet
71338_chickens87_038.jpg

Blue pullet
71338_chickens87_017.jpg

light blue pullet and Black roo...
71338_chickens87_033.jpg

blue pullet
71338_chickens87_028.jpg

OK question about this Roo...is there something not right with his wings? Just looks strange to me....
71338_chickens87_036.jpg

3 of them getting out and about in their new range area...blue roo (really moulting bad)
71338_chickens87_012.jpg

We are one of the very blessed areas of our country where we have had a cooler summer than normal. Chickens are enjoying the sunshine and 80 degrees today.

Well I have decided to go from Orp owner to lurker on this thread-for now. I am having to downsize on some birds and as much as it pains me I have to make the tough choices.

can someone please list for me which traits to look for when choosing a cockeral in order of importance . for example, chest, comb, etc...appreciate it, thank you

Quote:
Type first, above all others. My males must have a full, broad breast. No cut away chests.

jeremy, can you explain "cut away chest"...new to this breed so still learning...

Quote:
Type first, above all others. My males must have a full, broad breast. No cut away chests.

jeremy, can you explain "cut away chest"...new to this breed so still learning...

Let me see if I can find a picture...

I'm not sure who's bird this is, I just did a quick Google search, but IMO this would be a good example of a shallow or very cut away chest. This is something I will definitely be breeding against.
394918865.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom